Well at least I would like it to be the ultimate California Roadtrip. I am Flying into LAX from Atlanta on June 17, 2009 with my 3 kids 11, 13 and 16 and wife. We will be renting a 33 foot Class C RV from a private individual and will be doing the following itinerary:
Day 1 - Fly from Atlanta to Los Angeles
Day 2 – Pick up an RV and overnight somewhere between LA and San Simeon (Need recommendation for Campground)
Day 3 & 4 – San Simeon State Park Hike and Explore area near campground next day take a tour of Hearst Castle
Day 5 & 6 – Big Sur (Big Sur Campground) (If Pfeiffer State Park campground Opens then cancel and switch to this campground) Explore and hike Area
Day 7-10 – San Francisco (Marin RV Park)
- Walking tours – China Town, Lombard, Coit Tower, Cable Cars
- Union Square
- Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and Ghirardelli Square,
- Dinner at Spinnakers
- Bike rides Sausalito area and Golden Gate Bridge and Park
Day 11 & 12 – South Lake Tahoe (Need Reccomendation, considering Meeks Bay Resort, Camp Richardson or Sugar Pine Point…. Help!!!)
- Emerald Bay State Park lookout
- Explore the trails and mansion at Sugar Pine Point State Park
- Rent Boat at Camp Richardson or Meeks bay and explore
- Bike Riding
Day 13 & 14 –Yosemite/ Tuolmne Meadow (Walkin site)
- Hike and Fish
Day 15 – Yosemite / Valley (Upper Pines) - Explore Valley sites
Day 16 & 17 – Yosemite (Wawona)
Day 18 & 19 Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA (Lodgepole) – Explore and Hike
Day 20 – Overnight somewhere between Sequoia and LAX (Need Recommendation)
Day 21-24 (4th of July Weekend) – (Los Angeles) Turn in RV and staying in hotel
- Venice Beach
- Hollywood Homes Tour
- Need more recommendations
Since we wont have a car I am going to buy 5 Walmart bikes for the three weeks of RVing.
I am in need of advice for the following:
The Best Campgrounds for the following locations:
1) Somewhere between LA and San Simeon for the first overnight in the RV.Considering Malibu, Santa Barabara, Ventura or El Capitan. What would you go with and where would to camp your RV for the night?
2) In South Lake Tahoe what is best campground for an RV with only bikes to get around? Emerald wont handle a 33" so I am considering a) Meeks Bay Resort b) Sugar Pine Point or c) Camp Richardson
3) Where to stay on the last night traveling from Lodgepole to Los Angeles. Thinking like half way say Bakersfield are??? Or should we just stay in Kings Canyon Sequoia are and make the long haul on the final day?
Any thoughts also on other things not to miss on this general route. Also, we like to fly fish. Any great spots on this route.
Lastly I want to take the kids rafting. Any whitewater outfits suitable for kids ages 11-16 on this route.
Any help on this would be great as I am about googled out.