Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Default MD to Niagara Falls (Canada)

    Hi, I am a total beginner on road tripping, but have an opportunity to go somewhere for spring break with my kids. I have a few questions though...

    -Do you currently need a paasport to travel thru customs or is a birth cert and id acceptable, also for minors, do they need an id if traveling with a parent or is a birth cert acceptable?

    -do I need any further documentation? what about car? is insurance and registration the only thing needed?

    -I am not sure if stopping along the way is better or to drive thru, if it is better to stop where should we stay? Thru google it looks as though we will pass thru NY (state), but I was thinking maybe to stop in the city just for a few hours to see the sights...

    -should I book any lodging or wing it as we go? I have a gps and could easily find locations of a hotel...

    -also, I am a military spouse, any discounts offered? I have a id card (dependent)

    -any other suggetions?

    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by UtOh; 04-04-2009 at 04:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Green County, Wisconsin

    Default international

    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    A passports will be required for Adults traveling to Canada by land starting in June, up until that time, a birth certificate AND id, will work. However, children under age 16 can cross with just a birth certificate and that will remain the case after June 30, 2009.

    Most of your other questions really are simply matters of personal preference. Baltimore to the Falls is under 400 miles, so it could pretty easily be done in a day. However, in any case, I would recommend looking for a couple things you could stop at along the way to break up the trip and to give the kids a chance to get out of the car. Reservations depends upon how much flexability you like to have vs the risk of having to spend time finding a room.

    While the direct route does take you through NY state, going to NY city is a 200 mile detour. If you want to make NYC part of your trip you could, but its a tough place to see in "a few hours" and does add quite a bit of driving. At that point, you'd certainly need another day to get to Niagara. If it were me, and I was looking to spend a little time in a big city for this trip, I think I would be looking at Toronto, which is just an hour or so past the Falls. I'd save NYC for its own trip at another time.

  3. Default

    Thank you...awesome advice! Speaking of the route, are there any touristy things along the way? Any place you could reccommend to stop during the drive? I was thinking to drive to the NY side and stay there, I believe I can stay at the AFB there in Niagara for pretty cheap if they have availability, and then the next day get an early start to make our way to the Canada side. I have not worked out the logisitics per se, I am off the seat of my pants kinda girl...I am no good at pre planning : )

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Tucson, AZ

    Default Two (More or Less) on the Way

    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

    Two of the best places to stop on the Drive from Baltimore (?) to Niagara Falls would be Gettysburg Military Park, a place even the kids can enjoy by just climbing the rocks and seeing all the cannons and soldier statues, and Watkins Glen State Park in New York. Another possibility is Williamsburg, PA, site of the Little League World Series, if any of your kids participate in organized ball. I wouldn't make the detour to New York City. Not only is it pretty far out of your way, but 'm not sure that the kids would enjoy it. Whether you stop overnight on the drive up is dependent on how much time you want to spend at any stops you make, but you can certainly find something on the fly. You can also ask to see the motel room before you commit to taking it.


  5. #5

    Default May or may not...

    This may or may not apply in your situation:

    Last two times that my wife has traveled to the US from Canada (by air) with children alone, each time she was required to present a letter from me to indicate she had my permission to take the kids out of country.

    Not sure if this is a Canadian thing or flying thing or both.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Joplin MO


    Yes, you will be required to have a permission letter for the kids if you are not traveling with your spouse.

Similar Threads

  1. Queens to Niagara Falls back home via Penn
    By Cathryn in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 01:36 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 04:35 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts