I'm 23 this year and live in the UK and in the summer of 2010 my brother (who is currently 18) and I have thought we'd like to drive across America. We've come up with a vague route so far which starts in Boston and goes down to Florida via Rhode Island, New York, New Brunswick, Washington DC and Atlanta, then across to New Orleans and up to Minneapolis via Memphis, Cincinnati, Chicago and Milwaukee, then down to Houston via Sioux Falls, Omaha and Tulsa, across to El Paso, up to Salt Lake City via Albuquerque and Denver, down to Los Angeles via Las Vegas and up to Seattle via San Francisco and Portland. We're planning on taking 60ish days to do it, which includes a 5 - 7 day stop in Salt Lake City to stay with some family.
The way we've planned it, according to the internet, the longest drive is about 650 miles in a day on about 4 occasions. Looking about on here, I've seen it said that 500-550 miles should be about the maximum in a day, but sharing it between the two of us, I think the odd 650 mile drive should be OK.
We're still very much in the early stages of planning it, I still have to work out how much it's going to cost us among a lot of other things. I've only just realised that our route seems to take in quite a few toll roads, which I've started looking up, but they seem really confusing.
Anyway, I just wanted to find out a few things so I thought I'd ask some questions here
1) Renting a car - I've heard it's alot of hassle for visitors to buy cars in the US, plus there'd be the problem of selling it at the end anyway, so I guess we'd be looking to rent a car. How much would this cost for 60ish days for a reasonable car? How does the whole renting it on one side of the country and leaving it on the other side of the country thing work? I know that kinda thing is possible here, but your country's a lot bigger! I've never rented a car before anyway. Are there any problems that you could imagine with us renting a car? Are there any websites I should look at for this?
2) My brother will be 19 at the time we're planning on doing it, over here you can do anything when you reach 18, but in America I obviously know you have to be 21 to do some things like drink and go to casinos (in some states) would there be anythign important that he couldn't do as a result of being under 21?
3) Short of looking up each toll road individually, is there any way to find out the price of these? Also, on some do you pay different amounts depending on how far you travel on them?
4) In between Minneapolis and Sioux Falls, we were considering driving up into Canada, and when we're in El Paso, driving down into Mexico, mostly just to say we did it, it seems a waste not to! Would there be any problems with going over these borders for visitors to the US?
5) Would there be any other problems for non US citizens?
I'm sure there are about a hundred other questions that I should ask, especially if the trip starts to look more viable as I find out the answers to these questions, but I can't think of them right now. If anyone has any other tips or advice or anything, it would be very much appreciated. I'm sure all of the things I've asked and need to know are probably already answered and easy to find on this forum, so I'm sorry for just starting a new thread, but it makes it a bit easier for me and I can get some more specific answers.