To celebrate my 30th, I've booked myself a return ticket from London UK, to Los Angeles for 3 weeks from 25th of March-15th of April.
While in LA 4 of those days are taken at some convention. After that I'm hoping to spend a couple of days going Universal, maybe Disney and whatever stuff I research for LA.
Roughly from about the 1st of April, I want to do a road trip. The 3 main places I aim to go to are San Francisco, Vegas and Yosemite (but not necessarily in that order). Reading a little on the forum I see that people have done similar stuff to this, so will probably get ideas from that too. The only main difference is that I'm travelling alone (not that i want to!), and can't see much info on lone travellers.
I've never done anything like this, and feel a bit lost and overwhealmed by the scale of things. Also I am really nervous!!!
Would like to know if anyone has any help or suggestions on places to see or where to start with perhaps?
I'd like to hire a car, but there's the difficulty of reading a map at same time. Do car hire companies offer a Sat Nav as an option and if so how much is it? I've been told to fly around but not sure if it's the funnest option. If I leave Vegas last perhaps I could fly from there to LA and fly back home?
A little about me might help shape suggestions.
- My spending money is quite flexible. But like anyone else would like to get best value.
- Dont want to spend too much money on hotels, but would like somewhere safe to crash for a night (apart from in Vegas where I'd like somewhere pretty decent)
- I'm a big film and TV fan
- I love food and can eat good amounts, though not a great sea-food fan.
- Would like to have some nice coastal drives along the way. I can't swim though so no water sports for me :-(
- I like walking, so hoping something in either Yosemite or Grand Canyon is on offer.
- Would like to do a helicopter ride in the Canyon or plane tour (or some similar experience)
- Also I'm a VW enthusiast. I have a VW Beetle and also a camper van. I've been told that California has a good VW scene there.
Sorry if this all sounds messy but so much is going through my head and I need some grounding and people to bounce off.
Thanks guys :-D