I used this forum to help plan our CA, UT, AZ road trip last year, and both the advice and the trip were great so I'm hoping for some equally helpful pointers. This time we're thinking about a Florida road trip for later this year!
We've never really been to the area before so we are keen to see/do as much as possible during our time. We'll be 30 yrs old and we're looking for a mix of parks (hiking/camping etc.), coast, and cities (Miami def, any others?) and are basically after a good fun, 2 weeks or so. Not sure where is best to fly into, Orlando or Miami, or maybe into one and out of the other.
I've come up with a first go at a route (from a quick look at Google Maps) and wanted to get some of your thoughts on what we were proposing.
1. Fly into Orlando
2. Lakes Placid and/or Okeechobee
3. Everglades National Park
4. Florida Keys
6. Cape Canaveral
7. Fly back from Orlando to England
I guess it would be good to know any of the following:
1) Is there anything we should add/omit/swap to our trip? Best National Parks / coastal areas?
2) Any advice on areas to stay/go to in any of these places? Camping as much as possible would be great.
3) General thoughts - is this achievable etc.?
4) What time of year would be good to do this trip? September or October any good?
Any help would be very much appreciated!