I am planning a last minute road trip from San Francisco to Atlanta with two friends from the 29th of December to the 11th of January.
I have plotted a route (below) and I would be most grateful for any advice.
- We originally planned to finish in Miami but have been told that it's just too far but is finishing in Atlanta still too optimistic?
- Are there any weather conditions we should be wary of?
- Keen to know things to see along the way
- Interested in any suggested changes to the route i.e. upping the mileage on some sections that have less to see to have more time in others.
- Does anyone know of online resources that show sunset and sunrise times?
Route - I have used AAA Directions for mileage and times
29th - Fly in at lunctime to San Fran
30th - Leave San Fran after lunch for Yosemite - 195 miles - 4 hours.
31st Leave in the morning for Vegas - 471.8 miles 7hrs 45mins.
1st - Leave Vegas for Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon - 275 miles 4hrs 52 mins then Grand Canyon to see sun set over Monument Valley - 176.1 miles 4 hrs 28 mins
2nd & 3rd - Sunrise over Monument Valley then to El Paso over two days - 594 miles - 9hrs 46 mins
4th & 5th - El Paso to San Antonio - 549m 8hrs 14 mins
6th - San Antonio to Austin - 78.6m 1hr 13mins
7th - Austin to Lafayette via Houston 374miles 6hrs 45 mins.
8th - Lafayette to New Orleans - 134m 2hrs 18mins
9th & 10th - New Orleans to Atlanta - 465.4 miles 7hrs drive (Haven't decided on itinarary)
11th - Fly to London