Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Will look at budget and Hertz!

Gus

2. Default

Having taken the same route in the past (PCH to LA, through the mountains in a circuitous route to LV, and then on to Grand Canyon, thru Utah and Colorado, and then back to Michigan) I would suggest you look into a droptop of some sort. The ability to put the top down on a southbound route and enjoy the full glory of the ocean views...I wish we'd been able to do that.

Many rental companies rent Mustang convertibles, so that might be worth considering. Not a "sports" car in the true sense, but a goodly bit more interesting than a bloated mid-sized sedan.

3. Default

Howdy - I'm going to hi-jack this thread as well, since I have some questions relating to this.
    I'm going to do a road trip in California in late July to the middle of August along with four friends, but we still have to figure out a couple of things.
    We originally consideren a RV, but I've been told that the hostel are so cheap that it's cheaper to rent a 'normal' car and then stay in hostels, do any of you guys have an opinion about this?
    And where do I rent the cheapest cars? I've looked at some of the biggest companies(Hertz, Avis etc) but I don't know if these are the cheapest?
    (Oh yeah, if any of you guys are interested, we're starting out in San Fran, and then going south to Los Angeles via Big Sur. Then we're heading for Las Vegas and Death Valley, and on the way back to San Fran we're going through Yosemite.)

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmunksgaard View Post
    Howdy
    I'm going to do a road trip in California in late July to the middle of August along with four friends, but we still have to figure out a couple of things.
    We originally consideren a RV, but I've been told that the hostel are so cheap that it's cheaper to rent a 'normal' car and then stay in hostels, do any of you guys have an opinion about this?
    The cost of four people sharing an R.V. and associated costs is comparable to the cost of four people using nice motels and a car, so yes hostels will be cheaper. Although you could also consider buying camping equipment if you feel the the need for a sense of freedom.

And where do I rent the cheapest cars? I've looked at some of the biggest companies(Hertz, Avis etc) but I don't know if these are the cheapest?
    I would search the Internet for the best deals for your time of travel with the vehicle that suits you. I have heard a few good things about "Dollar" lately, so they may be worth checking out.

(Oh yeah, if any of you guys are interested, we're starting out in San Fran, and then going south to Los Angeles via Big Sur. Then we're heading for Las Vegas and Death Valley, and on the way back to San Fran we're going through Yosemite.)
    We are all interested in Road trips, that's the reason we are here. It's a popular area, and quite rightly so. You might find these West coast links helpful in your planning.

Let us know if we can help you with your plans.

5. Default

For a one-way rental, I've usually had the best luck with Budget--if they have the car you want, it's generally just the standard daily rate with unlimited miles.

With regard to specific models, I've had Mustangs from both Budget and Hertz renting in the standard car class (my last one from Hertz in October only had 6 miles on it when I picked it up). Decent car, OK mileage (mid 20's), short (<400mile) range. Wouldn't recommend it for more than 2 people.

Hertz's intermediate class has a lot of Mazda 6's, which handle great, have decent power (~160 hp with a 5-speed auto transmission), and good gas mileage (~30mpg).

My favorite car recently for any kind of distance is the new Taurus. Budget will rent them for almost nothing ($100 for last week in Reno, $175 for a week next March)--book the full-size class. Alternatively, book one lower and negotiate at the counter--usually I'll get the Taurus for the intermediate or standard class rate. I've consistently gotten 30 mpg, while using all 263 hp on a regular basis--that means about a 550 mile range. It's a big, comfortable cruising car with a huge trunk. Least sporty of the three in terms of handling, but not bad, and being the quickest makes up for it to some extent.

Just my opinion...