First off....great site.
Second off I am in need of some POV on a trip that I am taking...I am moving from Chicago to San Fran at the end of August and a friend is coming with me to have fun...!
Disclaimer: SORRY, THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG FEEL FREE TO JUST READ PARTS AND GIVE YOUR OPINIONS...
Tentative plan is leaving monday 8/25, arrive SF that friday or saturday. I realize this does not leave much time to do stuff, but alas this is what I gots and I want to make the most of it.
Looking at the map at first it makes sense to do 80 and stop in Omaha, Denver, SLC, then maybe reno...lame...the only thing I would care about on that list is denver, as it is the so called "Napa of Beer" as well as the Rockies, so current plan is drive as long as possiible the first day to get to Denver quick. My friend is up for anything, but when I threw out a detour to yellowstone he didn't seem to keen on the nature/hiking aspect. I personally like that stuff...we don't have time for a lot of it, but would like to see as much beautiful scenery (if only by driving) as possible...I am also a huge foodie and enjoy trying local delicacies.
1) Iowa sucks, I have heard NE does as well, so what are opinions on taking 90 through, and stopping at Mt Rushmore and then the Badlands and then heading down to Denver.
2) I was also thinking of heading to KC instead of Omaha as I love BBQ...not sure that is smart; however, as I would dread driving through KS.
3) As someone else had pointed out the DNC is in Denver about that time...snap...thoughts on how much that will suck?
D) Rafting? I'm sure there are links (couldn't find on the site,) but I would like to go rafting at some point if possible...at the Rockies? or better place for this?
5) Salt Lake...is this actually worth budgeting any time seeing? I like Mormons and all, but I wonder how cool this city is.
6) Reno...is it cool? My friend and I like to gamble...so if we have time maybe we would spend the night there before heading to my new home...Also, what about Carson City and Tahoe...is that a viable option (although this will be close to me so I would be hesitant.)
7) Any other possible routes or things I might be missing.
8) I will have a packed car with my wordly possessions (read: mostly clothes, but also a tv and other crap,)...do you think there will be any probs with this while traveling?
9) I was thinking the way I would do the hotels would be for whenever we know where we are stopping I would call a family member at home and have them priceline something in the area...is this a viable option?
I realize I have thrown a lot of stuff out there, and I will not have time for the majority, but I want to maximize my time...My friend is in the boat of playing it by ear, which is great, but I like to have some sort of plan, so if we detour, cool, but if not we have options
Thanks for any help, and I look forward to this forum!!