I'm a newbie to this forum but looking for advice on an upcoming road trip in August (8th-25th). I'm starting out in Montreal, Canada and would like to drive down to the 4 Corners Hopi and Navajo reservation area, maybe Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon.
My initial plan is to barrel it down to the area, take my time exploring the aforementioned and then taking my time, driving back, across the South and up the East Coast.
A few questions:
1) I'll be renting a car, I know the desert heat is excruciating in August so I need to rent out a powerful car with a strong motor which can give enough AC, I was also thinking of something fuel-efficient given gas prices these days.
I'll also be alone for this trip.
- what are the best deals for car rentals, should I pick up the car in Canada or fly into the states and pick up there?
- what kind of car should do the job?
- does anyone know of excellent deals worth looking into?
2) Given this time frame, is a trip of this sort feasible?
3) What tips can you give a female solo road traveler and are there areas which need to be avoided at all costs from a safety point of view?
4) Has anyone here done a similar trip before? What are the best places to stay (best bang for your buck), eat and check out?
5) What other websites or books are worth picking up for this?
Any and all pieces of advice are welcome!