My girlfriend decided that we should go to America this year - and I was more than happy to go along with this idea - the last time I was in America was about ten years ago out in Colorado / New Mexico / Arizona.
What first was going to be a simple trip from LA to San Francisco and back again has turned into a monster! Unfortunately we got out a map and it turned into - "oh well Yosemite is only x miles away from San Francisco, oh and Death Valley is only x miles away from there, we have to go there - but wait Las Vegas is only x miles away"...... etc
What we have come up with is a strange mix of city-living, nature (plan to go out whale-watching for half a day in Monterey), depravity (Las Vegas), archaeology (Mesa Verde), spectacular landscapes (umm about everywhere it seems!), varied climate zones (forests, deserts, mountains and ocean), and binding the mix together - a lot of driving!
We are heading out on the ninth of October, returning on the twenty-fifth
1. Arrive LA
3. Drive up Highway 1 to Monterey
4. Monterey - SF
7. SF to Yosemite
9. Yosemite to Death Valley
10. Death Valley to Las Vegas
12. Las Vegas to Sedona - anyone tell me what this drive is like?
13. Sedona to Grand Canyon to Kayenta
14. Kayenta through Monument Valley to Mesa Verde (possibly stay in Durango)
15. Mesa Verde for half a day then possibly to Holbrook through Gallup?
16. Holbrook to Phoenix
17. Phoenix to London :(
A few points
- Hours of light - from memory it gets dark about 6 in Arizona?
- although I know there is a lot in LA it has never been a place we actually wanted to go - we do plan on spending on going to a few things on the day we have there, but the whole Universal Studios / Disney etc thing is not our cup of tea (sorry English expresion!).
- San Francisco - she who must be obeyed wants to go for that long. End of story.
- 2 nights in Yosemite - anyone got any comments? Obviously we have to get there from SF (if anyone can tell me how long, good route etc :) ) - I thought that the next day would be in the park, then staying on the eastern-side, say in Mammoth Lakes in the evening
- Las Vegas to Sedona - ok I know the Hoover dam is there, but what is the Journney like from Kingman?
- Sedona - well I have been here a couple of times before, most of it with people who enjoy saying "ommm" a lot and waving their arms about as if they are trying to take off (my mother being one of them). I was planning on doing the scenic drive south - maybe stop off in Jerome before heading up to the Grand Canyon in the late afternoon for sunset. Then doing the drive from there to Kayenta.
- Snow in Mesa Verde / Durango / in general - is there any?
- Meas Verde to Holbrook - ok, I know that we could go to Canyon de Chelly, however I planned to go to the petrified forest, however, being blunt, it's not the fossilised wood that interests me, it is the landscape. Any comments, or is there someone equally as spectacular elsewhere?
So in summary, the first half up to Sedona is pretty much in stone and I know is not realy much of a "roadtrip", the second half is not yet confirmed, but it is what I want to do. Any comments / tips / suggestions would be gratefully accepted!