Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Only the southern approach!

Quote Originally Posted by jasz View Post
    Day 3 - Sunrise pictures at Mono Lake, and then head for Las Vegas through Death Valley, if time allows, then "Race Track" otherwise only Rhyolite & Sand Dunes, Stay in Las Vegas for the night
    Yeehaw is correct, you are really trying to push the envelope in ways that are not possible. I am concerned that you are considering approaching the Race Track from the north -- in February this would be... extremely unwise unless you are traveling in all conditions 4-WD truck. I have driven Las Vegas > Racetrack Playa > Rhyolite > Beatty > Las Vegas in a day, but I can just about guarantee no one can do it much faster than 16 hours. If you do attempt Race Track, make sure you lower tire pressure to no more than 15 PSI. But realistically, it makes no sense. Spend the time in Death Valley and looking around and then to Las Vegas. With sunrise at Mono Lake and then a reasonable drive and looking in DV, you can expect to reach Las Vegas at about 7:00 pm.

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Oatman, Arizona

Not too far from Laughlin, Nevada, you can visit the interesting Oatman with the wild burros, plus some of the most unuique driving yiou'll ever do east of town.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-07-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added link to a RTA article

3. Default

Ok guys, maybe i have tried to push it a little here ;-) have been around the internet and checked up on a few things.

Can you guys help me out here if i try to remake things a little ?? is this possible ?? and any things that I should be aware off… like Tioga Pass ;-)

Day 1 (Saturday feb. 28th ) - arriving at San Francisco, pick up our car and drive to Death Valley, Stay some where in DV or near DV depending on how far you guys think we can go from SFO to DV
    Which way would be the best for this… steering clear off blizzard

Day 2 (Sunday)– Go to DV , racetrack, rhyolite and sand dunes, after that head for Page, stay somewhere for the night along the road..

Day 3 (Monday)– on to Page and “The Wave” afterwards head for Kayenta (Monument Valley)

Day 4 (Tuesday)– Monument Valley sunrise shots and then off to Las Vegas.

Day 5 – (Wednesday) – Las Vegas to the PMA Convention and then afterwards head for SFO.

Day 6 – (Thursday) on our way to San Francisco (photo stops not planned yet) reach San Francisco for the night.

Day 7 – (Friday )Sunrise shots at "Golden Gate" and small phototrip around San Francisco (Cable Car, Lombard Street.....) and then it is off to Europe again (maybe a small nap in the plane... hehehehehe)

Jasz

Default Still very busy !

Welcome back.

Day 1 (Saturday feb. 28th ) - arriving at San Francisco, pick up our car and drive to Death Valley, Stay some where in DV or near DV depending on how far you guys think we can go from SFO to DV
    Which way would be the best for this… steering clear off blizzard
    Where are you flying from and what time is your arrival? If it is from Europe I doubt you will get far from S/F by the time you have got your luggage, picked up your car rental after a mammoth flight and your body clocks out of "whack".
    The quickest way will be I-5 then 46/99 to Bakersfield, onto the 58 and then North on the 14 to the 395 before heading across D/V on the 190 and 374 to Rhoylite.
    I think you would be pushed to get this far on day 2 considering/ depending on your flights.

That would mean an 8 hour drive to Page a six mile hike to The wave and another 2 hour drive to Kayenta, that must be somewhere in the region of a 16 hour day.

Kayenta > M/V > Vegas is another 10- 12 hour day depending on your time at M/V.

Days 5 and 6 look O.K if your convention is not to late [and if you can stay awake through it ;-) ]

Day 7 You will want that nap.

I think you will need to see how it works out while your on the road and be prepared to for compromises personally.

Good luck I hope you have a great trip !

Think again.....Your first 3 days are way too much. SF-Death Valley is 8 hours and don't drive in the dark on unknown roads esp. not after the long flight. You need a permit for the Wave and as mentioned before, don't go to the Racetrack esp.not with a rental car. Your insurance won't cover you driving dirtroads.

6. Default

Actually we have thought about jumping Racetrack... it can be to time consuming... we will at least try to get 4-5 hours closer to DV on the first day.

When going across DV on day 2 on 190, 374, and then 95, what else is there to see other than the sand dunes and rhyolite... any idea´s

Day 1 (Saturday feb. 28th ) - arriving at San Francisco, pick up our car and head for Death Valley, Stay some where inbetween SFO and DV (route cleared above)

Day 2 (Sunday)– Go to DV to se the sand dunes and Rhyolite, after that head for "The Wave" stay somewhere for the night along the road.. (route almost cleared)

Day 3 (Monday)– Head for “The Wave” (if we get a permit) and afterwards head for Kayenta (Monument Valley) (route not in place yet, suggestions welcome)

Day 4 (Tuesday)– Monument Valley sunrise shots and then off to Las Vegas. (route not cleared yet, but might go south to Route 66 and come in to LV over Hoover Dam, but suggestions are welcome, but Gran Canyoon is not i play ´cause we where there last year)

Day 5 – (Wednesday) – Las Vegas to the PMA Convention and then afterwards head for SFO. (route not cleared yet, but thinking off going to the coast CA-1 and go north to SFO)

Day 6 – (Thursday) on our way to San Francisco (photo stops not planned yet) reach San Francisco for the night.

Day 7 – (Friday )Sunrise shots at "Golden Gate" and small phototrip around San Francisco (Cable Car, Lombard Street.....) and then it is off to Europe again (maybe a small nap in the plane... hehehehehe)

Once again, thx a lot to all you guys who are so helpfull... if you ever come to Denmark, i will help you out with a Roadtrip...

Jasz

Default Skip it.

Hi Jasz,

Actually we have thought about jumping Racetrack... it can be to time consuming...
    I think it's a good idea due to your time restraints.

When going across DV on day 2 on 190, 374, and then 95, what else is there to see other than the sand dunes and rhyolite
    The whole place is fascinating, here's a link to the Death valley website you can search for ideas. Staying on the 190 through Furnace creek, Badwater and visiting Zabriske point and Dante's view and on to Death valley junction to Pahrump and 160 to Vegas is an option to Rhyolite.

Day 4 (Tuesday)– Monument Valley sunrise shots and then off to Las Vegas. (route not cleared yet, but might go south to Route 66 and come in to LV over Hoover Dam, but suggestions are welcome, but Gran Canyoon is not i play ´cause we where there last year)
    There's probably not much in it time wise whether you head towards Flagstaff or through Page /St George, depending on delays at Hoover Dam. Either way It's going to be quite a full day without the side trips.

8. Default

Hello again and thx again..

If i would like to see MV from this side MV from this side

Where do i have to stay, which city is closest

Thx in advance

Jasz
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 10-30-2008 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Preferred link format

Default Gouldings

Hey Jasz,

From Page take the 98/160 and the 163 into M/V where you will find the views you are looking for. You will have to pay an entrance fee [$5 I think] to the Navajo tribal park to get close and access to the scenic drive/tour.

Kayenta is a possible stop but the Gouldings lodge is closest and ideal for those early morning pictures.

For the Famous view seen all over the world you will need to pass the entrance on the 163 and turn around.

As was mentioned, Gouldings is the place to stay for Monument Valley.

We traveled the Southwest several years ago and caught some of the
    Route66 sights.

One photographic peak near Monument Valley is Aglatha Peak.

We didn't really drive through Monument Valley, but did photograph
    the famous Mitten Buttes.

Also recommend stopping at Seligman to the Snocap for a snack.

Route 66 related photos from that trip.

Photos of parks from that trip.

Have a safe trip and I hope you come back with lots of great
    photos. Would love to see them.