Im in the UK and am planning a trip to the states for the end of the year (December 08 - Feb 09). I will be travelling with a friend.
Our original plan was to fly to Boston then hire a car to travel around abit ending up in New York (dropping the car off there), where we'll stay for a few weeks. We were then going to fly over to the West Coast, San Fran, and hire a car to drive to places like Vegas and LA (and possibly venture to Mexico if time allows)
1) We are both under 25 therefore being quoted silly surcharges on hire cars.
2) As we would like to drop the car off a different location than we collected from, this is subject to further surcharges.
These make for an expensive transportation method!
Solution: Buy a car!
Although this wont make much sense for the East Coast part of our trip as we'll be in New York for most of the time (i'm thinking car+NY = not fun driving....from experience of driving around London!).
Therefore I would only be looking at buying a car for our 'propper road trip' of the west coast.
So a few questions..
1) Is this idea sensible? Obviously I would be hoping to sell it when I am done with it...which will be when we end up in LA (for a flight to sydney!). So hopefully I will get back most of my initial outlay.
2) I am not sure of any laws currently making this unfeasible..aslong as I have a full valid UK license. Can anyone comment?
3) How much would I be looking at spending for a used car? I appreciate this is a 'how long is a peice of string' question but can anyone advice a sensible amount on buying a fairly reliable used car that wont fall apart as soon as i've shaken hands with the dealer!
(I base this question on an episode of Top Gear (Popular UK car show) whereby they had the challenge of buying a used car in Florida for $1000. They did not get nice cars!)
Also, any car makes that are generally well regarded as being good value second hand?
4) Where are the best places to buy from? As I said, I will be looking at buying one in San Francisco...any recommendations on dealers, websites, forums etc?
I think that covers most of my queries.
I obviously realise that the simplest solution would be to fly or use public transport where I want to get to but...well you know what the prefered option is!
I am glad I stumbled upon this Forum, the atmosphere seems great with a really positive, helpful and friendly vibe.
I hope someone can spare me a few moments to make me less confused! Haha!
Thank you all.