I've been out for a long time now. Things on the personal front kept me, let's just say, occupied!
Anyways, hubby has a shutdown from 22nd Dec until 30th Dec. Our initial FL plans did not materialize. So, we've just reserved for a rental car.
We are taking 2 extra days & plan to return home on New Year's.
21st : Leave home a late evening. Night halt at an I5 rest area(150-200m away from home)
22nd: Mojave National Preserve. Night halt: suburban Vegas(we do not have plans to get into the city this time)
23rd:Hoover Dam tour, Lake Mead. Night halt: St.George, UT
Question: Is Valley of Fire State Park worth a visit?
24th: Drive to Page, AZ. Check out Lake Powell.
25th: In & around Page
Question: I know there is lots to see, any tips on where to go?
Also, we get this extra day as there is no Antelope canyon tour on Christmas day!
Any snow worries?
26th: Antelope Canyon (Upper Canyon tour)
27th: Drive to Monument Valley. Jeep tour, if possible.
Question: Any snow worries? Is there a good place to stay nearby? How safe is it to take your rental sedan into Monument Valley?
28th: Drive down to Phoenix,AZ to meet a friend.
29th: Drive down to Tucson, AZ.
30th: Tucson, AZ
Question: Any camping suggestions?
31st: Drive into Palm Springs, CA
Palm Canyon drive. What else?
Questions: Is it too cold to camp around this area?
Jan 1st 08: Start late afternoon & probably come home late night.
Well, here is the catch. I am currently pregnant. While the Doc has given me permission to drive/travel, this is the main reason for the slow pace in the itinerary.
I don't know how I will be in 2 months time, but I think I can manage.
I could not think of any way to babymoon rather than be in the desert!
Antelope canyon tour should not be a problem, but I am not sure how Monument valley jeep tours will treat me. I am yet to call & check.
Though we wanted a snail pace itinerary(I hope it is), I feel guilty about not being able to see more, maybe New Mexico? Does anyone think it possible to fit it in?
Our interests: the desert, birdwatching, wildlife, short hikes, National Parks, photography, nature & landscape. Adventure has been postponed to a later year :-(
Also, we plan to stay in motels for most of the journey(because of the weather). But, would love to camp in Tucson & Palm Springs. I hope the weather will permit. My weather tolerance would be around 45F.
Any tips, lodging options, snow conditions, etc are gladly welcome.
The plan is still fluid & can be modified if need be.