My friend and I are both in our mid-twenties and are embarking upon a road trip from Los Angeles to New York, between June - August 2008. We are pretty much looking out for typical tourist destinations, try to watch some sports and see a range of culture. Our first idea for stop-overs are:
LA - San Francisco - Las Vegas - Phoenix - Tuscon - El Paso - Dallas - Memphis - Nashville - Atlanta - Knoxville - Lexington - Indianapolis - Chicago - Detroit - Cleveland - Buffalo - New York
So just a little trip then, you realise!! The reason I picked out these places was generally due to the fact that I have heard of them. I know it's not a very direct route but this could be the last time to USA so want to fit in as much as possible.
So really what i would like advice on is:
1) Is this a realistic idea of a route?
2) Are the places listed going to be of interest/good choice? if not..any suggestions?
3) We are still debating whether we may be better off by taking buses, would that be a reasonable choice? I do like the idea of the freedom of driving ourselves.
4) Are the plenty of places to park up and sleep in a campervan? Do you have to pay? As this might be important when working out cost due to the length of time proposed..
5) Any other advice just generally on long drives in USA would be helpful
Thank you very much for taking time to read this, hopefully look forward to some comments/suggestions