This past week, the Tribune published the names of five places their travel writers recommended that are close to Chicago.
1. Fennville, Michigan- the epicenter of Michigan's growing wine indusrty.
2. Monroe, Wisconsin- the cheesiest and beeriest place in the cheese and beer state. Home of multiple cheese factories, Swiss Colony, and the Joseph Huber Brewery, and the Cheese-making Center. Definitely visit Baumgartner's.
3. Spring Green, Wisconsin- home of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesman Estate and the nearby House on the Rock. A little farther away, on US-12, is Dr. Evermore's Forevertron with its scrap metal creations.
4. Linton, Michigan- great outdoors. Also, Amish and Mennonite food.
5. Nauvoo, Illinois- one of the first Mormon settlements.
Sounds Like some Interesting Places to Me. --RoadDog