I'm plan to do a East Coast road ( Boston or NY => Miami ) trip with 3 friends, sometime next year ..
Why East Coast ? It's closer to Europe then West Coast, so it would save us some money on our flight. On top, the East Coast looks more populated, so we decided on that ..
However, since I'm European, I need some information about a few things ..
- are they common on the East coast ?
- situated rather around major cities, or can you find them about everwhere ?
- what is a +/- normal price for an overnight stay ? ( 2 or 4 person room )
- I doubt they offer some sort of breakfast ? maybe the bigger ones do ?
- what's your opinion on them ? In major cities we would look for youth hostels, but outside of them, are motels a good choice ?
- is there maybe a good chain of motels on the East Coast that you recommend ? if so, do they have a website + possibly a map ?
- how much is the toll exactly ? I don't think they would be a major cost of the trip, but I'd like to have an idea on how much they'll cost
- only on highways ? or on every major road ?
- doing every major city would take a lot of time ( not to mention money ) , since staying just one evening in a big city won't give us much time to visit a lot of things. what major cities would you recommend ? I was thinking Boston, NY, Phili, Washington & Miami .. between Washington & Miami, what other major cities are in between them that are worth a visit ?
- what smaller cities would you recommend ? I was thinking Charleston, Raleigh, Savannah, Jacksonville .. ?
- timewise, how long would a trip from Boston => Miami take ? Driving would be every morning from 9 to noon or so, with maybe a 2-day stay in the major cities .. 2-3 weeks doable ? not enough ?
- what would be a good daily budget ? 50 € ( +/- 68$ ) a day for breakfast, lunch & dinner + 2 admissions or so ( museums, etc.. ) + gas money ( 1/4 since we'd be with 4 people ) realistic ?
- most common international credit card accepted in the smaller cities ? Visa ?
- is an Internation Student Card well known in the US ?
- good books on East Coast trips ? I have a previous version of Road Trip USA , which is nice, but I'm looking for another good book with a day to day planner.
- anyone did a similar trip ? what problems did you encounter ?
Major costs I can figure out together with my travel agency, but the smallers things like I mentioned, they don't always know a lot about that.
Thx a lot in advance, I hope to get some usefull comments :)