I just purchased the book (Road Trip USA) and I am trying to decide what routes to take I am starting from Worcester Ma and will end up in Seattle with a stop in NM. my question is out of the following options what route would you take if you could.
1. Atlantic Coast, follows the Atlantic coast along many country roads
2. Appalachian trail, follows the Appalachian Hiking trail from NH-GA
1. The Oregon Trail, follows US-20 for the most part
2. The Loneliest Road, follows US-50 and then link up with RT 66 in IL
3. Southern Pacific, follows US-80 but looks like I would be 0n the interstate allot of the time.
1. Border to Border, follows US-93 up to route 2 and over to Seattle on route 2.
2. Pacific Coast, follows US-1 and 101 up the pacific coast to Seattle
I am leaning towards the Appalachian trail South to US-50 linking up with
RT-66 in IL and across to NM and then on to San Diego via RT-66 and I-5 South and up US-1 to Seattle.
So if anyone has taken any of these routes and thinks one would be better over another please inform me.
I am not concerned about time or gas prices as this may be my last chance for some time to make this trip. I will be going solo as I have a family that will not drive off the interstate and likes to drive straight through on the shortest and fastest rout. I have done that four times this year as I am moving to Seattle and this is the last drive thatís needed and can't do another mile on the interstate. I am flying the family out the morning I start driving on 6/14/07
Seeking real America