my fiance and I are Aussies, living in London and just starting to plan our very first road across the USA. As there is so much to see I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the choices of where to go, and am hoping that you experienced road trippers can send a bit of advice my way.
Tentative dates for the trip are Arrive in US Wednesday afternoon 22nd August and head back to London on the 8th or 9th September. So 17 full days to have some fun.
Things that we want to do:
- have no interest in going to big cities, want to stay off the highway as much as possible and stick to the 2 lane roads. We want to see the real guts of America.
- do not want to drive all day...happy to drive for no more than really 5hrs day with days inbetween where we can spend a day seeing local sights.
- have a real interest in seeing the deep south - Savannah is a must, drive through the plantations....Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi.
- would love to go on a paddle boat on the Mississippi
- head into the wild west, watch a rodeo.
- Niagara falls would be amazing to do, as would the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and some Indian Reservations...though the last few are over on the West and I've started on the East.
My intial thoughts were to start in Savannah, head through the deep south and work our way up towards the Grand Canyon, with a possibility of ending in Las Vegas for a couple of days before flying to London, but I'm not sure if thats just way to far to go without spending everyday driving, ultimately would like to plan for a 13 day trip and have a few days spare as we're bound to see amazing things along the way.
As an aside, any advise you could give on good car hire companies. I'm planning on having to pay a drop-off fee as we don't want to do a round trip. What's a good budget per day to allocate for petrol? The fiance want's to hire a good ol' American car (think Thelma and Louise)...is this feasible? or should I be greaking the news gently to him..
thanks in advance for getting me started