Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Default Road trip to Mass.

    First I have to say that is is a great web site and Message board
    So yes this is my first post>>> We are driving to Salem Mass. from Central WI PLanning to stop at Nigara Falls I was wondering about walking in to Canada to see the falls and what ID"s they reqire etc.. and if any one has some other great ideas for along the way thanks


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Western/Central Massachusetts

    Default Welcome!

    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

    At the moment, you do not need a passport to go to Canada unless you are traveling by plane - see this link.

    Some questions before suggestions:
    How much time do you have for your trip? There are many great locations along the way, but some may be dependent on how much time you have to explore.

    What attracted you to Salem? It is a lovely area, with a lot of history mixed in with kitschy touristy type things. One place in the area that I've heard very good things about is the Peabody Essex Museum. They have a Qing dynasty home from China in there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Tucson, AZ

    Default Walking the Border

    While it's true that you won't need a passport to cross the US - Canada border by car (or foot) for another 8 months, that doesn't mean that you can just walk across with no papers. You will need to prove two things, that you are who you say you are and that you are a US citizen. In practice this means a government issued, photo ID (e.g. driver's license) AND the original or a certified copy of your birth certificate.

    Walking into Canada to see the Falls is possible. The nearest bridge is the Rainbow Bridge connecting NY-384 (exit 21 from I-190) and ON-420. You can walk across the bridge and it does afford great views of the Falls which will be less than half a mile upstream, on the south side of the bridge. The pedestrian toll is 50¢.


  4. Default mass.

    We have an Aunt and uncle in Salem Mass. so that is why we are going there I got photo ids for the kids and the birth Certicates also
    So would you drive or walk across??

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Western/Central Massachusetts

    Default Niagra Falls

    I would walk (and have) across the Rainbow Bridge. Buck is correct about the forms of ID required as well as the views offered. I think crossing by car would only be necessary if you planned on driving around in Canada.

    The Canadian side of the falls is much more lively, with all of the tourist trappings that go with it.

Similar Threads

  1. California Road Trip
    By mathieu in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 11:32 AM
  2. Suggestions for the first road trip
    By mima4nyc in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 02:37 PM
  4. 4-month solo road trip
    By Krista in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
  5. Road trip report - Seattle to Yosemite
    By S in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 07:46 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts