So, I finally told my boss I'm taking two weeks off to go on a roadtrip (yay!) I have basically planned out the route and timing as follows:
(I'll be starting in Long Island, NY and the places stated is where I'd like to end up by nightfall.) Our major stops would be Charlotte, Atlanta and Boca Raton.
June 29- Richmond, VA
July 1- Hiddinite, NC
2- Charlotte, NC
3- Smoky Mountain NP, NC/TN
4- Charlotte, NC
5- (Franklin for the day,NC) Atlanta, GA
6- Atlanta, GA
7- (LaGrange for the day,GA), Atlanta, GA
8- Jacksonville, FL
9- Boca Raton, FL
10- (Everglades NP for the day), Boca Raton FL
11- (Miami for the day), Boca Raton,FL
12- Jacksonville, FL
13- (stop for a while in Savannah, GA) Myrtle Beach,
14- Virginia Beach, VA
15- home :)
What I need help with is what we can see in the areas we stop or along the route. I don't know too much about any of them.
It's my boyfriend and I, and we're interested in hiking, museums, national parks, surfing spots along the east coast. outdoorsy things and cultural festivals. and local food!! ( and yes, we're very compatible roadtrippers :)
Specific info needed:
- what can we see in Richmond and inexpensive places to stay there?
- the best place in the Smokies to see them 'smoky' :) and a campsite that
doesn't have a lot of RV's - no offense! and best short hiking trails. I know
there's Clingman's Dome, are there any by waterfalls?
- best places to go in Charlotte, and to see fireworks!
- food spots in all areas!
- best historic sites in Atlanta ( in association with MLK)
- what's in Jacksonville to see and good surf spot.
- Best part of Everglades to visit. I've done research on the airboat rides and
would like to do a couple hours with only about 6 people. Could anyone
suggest a good company? (there's a gazillion!)
- what to see in Miami? best part to see the cuban culture or eat cuban food
- camping spots along the coast
- what to see in Savannah, Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach?
hit me with all the tips, trips and info you got!