This subject comes up fairly often and so here is a quick primer on the car transport services. Auto Drive-Away is the largest of the firms and these are general conditions:
1) A would-be traveler registers with a company indicating a preferred destination and period of travel.
2) Driver must be solo and over 21 years old (some require 23+ years)
3) Driver must have a valid driving license and agrees to drive a minimum of 400 miles per day in a nearly direct route to the destination of the vehicle.
4) Security Deposit -- the driver pays a deposit -- with some companies this includes the cost of the car (ouch!) with others the companies carry their insurance on the vehicles. But in all cases, the security deposit covers break-downs and any damages to the car while in-transit.
5) Incidental expenses. Driver is responsible for all fuel costs, tolls and living expenses. Most companies purchase the first tank of gas!
There are a dozen or so auto transport companies that offer this Drive-Away program. Here are links to three of them:
(Edit: This thread used to have a link to some of the Drive-Away firms, but that link is no longer working).
As always, we are very interested in knowing if you have used any of these services.