I'm setting off on a bit a road-trip in the Summer and have stumbled upon this gold mine of information...and hope to get some nuggets of knowledge from you seasoned road-trippers!
So... here's the plan.
3 of us, planning to drive from Vancouver to Tijuana. We have 3-6 weeks in July- August, obviously want to see all the must-see sights, and are reasonable cultural for 23yr old men(!), but also will be needing to see a fair amount of nightlife, (though not necessarily in the just in the major cities).
My mind is currently addled with studying (or lack thereof), so I'll put my queries into bite-sized questions.
1. Flights. Admittedly not too road-trippy this one, but becasue we're flying into the North and out of the South, the prices have pretty much doubled. We've been advised to fly into Seattle and out of San Diego (so minor backtracking in the car) as there's more chance of getting the same carrier- which might make things cheaper. Anyone got tips on getting the flight price down? This is just a dream really- I think we're prepared to bite the bullet, but it's a bit galling that we could buy 2 return trips to Brazil for the price!
2. Length of time- Obviously we don't want to bite off more than we can chew and spend the whole time in the car. We really have anywhere between 3 and 6 weeks to do the trip, though things would get a little tight financially at the end of the scale. Would 3 weeks be enough for a decent crack at the West Coast, or should we (again!) bite the bullet and go for 6?
3. The North- Obviously Vancouver is our first stop to get a bit of a Canadian perspective- then Seattle. We've heard from a few people that Portland is a 'party city' (seems unlikely!) but the map is looking a little bare all the way to San Francisco. I'm sure the scenery there is awesome, but is there any place we MUST stay? Can anaybody estimate the driving time from Seattle to San Francisco straight (that's not our plan- don't worry), and if there are any 'model American' towns we can visit on the way? Are the colleges towns going to be deserted in the summer?
4. Car hire- any estimate of costs? We have considered buying and then selling, but I presume that this would work out more expensive?
5. That's it I guess. Any hints\tips would be much appreciated, as well as offers to come out drinking with us!!