1. Default Road trip question - Cabriolet

Hey!

We are four persons road trippin across the US this spring, we are planning to go from coast to coast in little over a month. We've got some great rental prices for a cabriolet but I have my doubts. We really want to travel in style in a cabriolet, but will four persons fit? We are planning to travel pretty light, luggage wise. The cab is from Avis, a Chevrolet Camaro (2005) or similar.
    What to do?

Best regards,

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hey!

We are four persons road trippin across the US this spring, we are planning to go from coast to coast in little over a month. We've got some great rental prices for a cabriolet but I have my doubts. We really want to travel in style in a cabriolet, but will four persons fit? We are planning to travel pretty light, luggage wise. The cab is from Avis, a Chevrolet Camaro (2005) or similar.
    What to do?
    Hmm, never heard anyone use the word cabriolet genericly before, it makes me think of a VW. The Camaro convertible is pretty tight in the back for legroom and might be for headroom too. The Sebring convertible is much better although not a sporty car like the Camaro. All convertibles are very windy for the rear passengers and it tends to get old after a while. They also tend to have poor visibility for the rear passengers when the top is up which isn't what you want for a road trip.

Default We must be confused?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    We are four persons road trippin across the US this spring, we are planning to go from coast to coast in little over a month.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Like Killer, I am a little confused. What size car are you expecting when you refer to cabriolet? Cabriolet is a current model marketed under the Audi brand and I wouldn't put four people into it on a bet!
    a Chevrolet Camaro (2005) or similar.
    A Camaro is normally classed as a luxury vehicle and for the cost of that, it seems prudent to rent a smaller SUV that will enable four people to stretch out a little. More important -- have the four of you taken the roadtrip compatibility quiz?

Mark

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Cool style?

Hi Gus,
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip Forum.

We really want to travel in style in a cabriolet, but will four persons fit?
    I agree with killer, I think you might be a little tight in there. Plus, if by cabriolet you mean "convertible", spring is not necessarily the ideal season to travel "topless":-) You might get pretty cold, even with the top on. I think a good ol' sedan or suv will be more practicle wether it's for luggage or leg room... just my opinon!

Gen

5. Default

I took a road trip in a very small car with 3 people. It wasnt bad but I couldnt imagine doing it with four people. For a month youre going to need a good amount of luggage. It seems like a good idea now but coming from someone your age I think you will regret it after about two weeks.

6. Default Cab

Cabriolet equals convertible in Sweden, I'm sorry for the confusion, just wrote the post in a hurry and without any thoughts of foreigners reading this ;)

Maybe I have to rethink this convertible thing, go for a fullsize car and leave the Mustang for another road trip. I want to come home with memories of amazing sceneries, not trying to look at everything from a tight rear seat of a cabr.. sorry convertible.

Thanks for your input! I will certainly be grilling you with 21 questions in the near future.

Slash Gus

You're not going to find a 2005 Camaro - the last year was 2002.

Anyway - I have a 1996 Trans Am (which I seldom drive anymore), and believe me, you don't want to have four people squeezed in that car for any length of time. Two people, okay, but four? The back seats weren't made for normal size adults. The headroom back there is non-existent, and there's a knack to getting in there.

A friend of mine rented one for his wedding...I ended up walking around with my hair sticking up all day from it rubbing on the roof. Alfalfa in a tuxedo...

Nah, get something more practical. You'll be glad you did, especially when you all remain friends after the long trip!

Have fun!

Default Camaro is (almost) back

Quote Originally Posted by TimboTA
    You're not going to find a 2005 Camaro - the last year was 2002.
    Tim, I would hate to dispute you, but the Camaro may be on the way back. At the Detroit auto show in January, Chevrolet unveiled a Camaro concept car -- it is looking pretty good. Click here for more.
    Anyway - I have a 1996 Trans Am (which I seldom drive anymore), and believe me, you don't want to have four people squeezed in that car for any length of time. Two people, okay, but four? The back seats weren't made for normal size adults. The headroom back there is non-existent, and there's a knack to getting in there.
    Well put, I am about six foot and the last time I had to ride in the rear seat of a Trans-Am style automobile, I harbored slightly murderous thoughts toward the occupants of the front seat (course that could have had something to do with the driver's tendency to slide his way through curves...)
    A friend of mine rented one for his wedding...I ended up walking around with my hair sticking up all day from it rubbing on the roof. Alfalfa in a tuxedo...
    Now, that is a great mental image. Thanks for sharing that one!

Mark

Default Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by gus
    Cabriolet equals convertible in Sweden, I'm sorry for the confusion
    A bit of trivia - the word cabriolet was originally applied, back in the horse and buggy days, to a sporty, 1 hp, two-wheel, hack with a retractable cover that had windows. It has, as Gus says, come to be applied to the motorized versions as well. We for whom English is supposedly our native tongue, sometimes forget its history in our quest for the latest patois.

AZBuck

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Equivalence

Gus,

Cabriolet equals convertible in Sweden, I'm sorry for the confusion, just wrote the post in a hurry and without any thoughts of foreigners reading this ;)
    That's what I suspected, my mother tongue is French and we sometimes call a convertible a cabriolet as well. We also use the word "décapotable" but it's more like a familiar term. Do you use that word too? We also have a slang word to describe a cabriolet : "décapoute". I'm sure you never heard that one!:-)

Geneviève