1. Default Is a 5713 Mile Road Trip Too much for Kids?

First, thanks for providing this forum. I've went over a lot of post to get some ideas for out trip but didn't see much on this topic. We are planning a June road trip from Murrieta (SoCal), CA to Cleveland, OH for 4 days of driving. Spend a week there and drive 1 day from Cleveland to Washington, DC. Spend a week there and then drive 1 day from DC to Raleigh, NC. We'll spend another week there then head back home for another 4 day drive from NC to CA. Our two kids are 4 and 5 1/2 years old. I plan to rest overnight at chain hotels during the CA to OH and NC to CA drives. I will utilize our DVD system, Leap Frog Leapsters and plenty of rest stops to the fullest. Example:

Day 1 - Murrieta, CA to Richfield, UT 560 miles 8 hrs
    Day 2 - Richfield, UT to Fort Morgan, CO 544 miles 8 hrs
    Day 3 - Fort Morgan, CO to Des Moines, IA 597 miles 8 hrs 30 min
    Day 4 - Des Moines, IA to Cleveland, OH 665 miles 10 hrs 35 min

Total: 2354.28 Miles 34 Hours 44 Minutes (Not including Gas and Rests)

1. Would this be too much of a drive for our kids? 8 hours a day ok?

2. MapQuest says from I-15 go towards Denver I-70 then I-76 up to I-80 while Google Maps and Yahoo Maps say from I-15 go towards Salt Lake City up to I-80 where the rest of the way is the same with all maps. Which way is a more comfortable ride for the family? Would be driving through the mountains on the I-70 towards Denver be dangerous or take longer than the other?

3. I've read some say go more north and use the I-90 instead of the I-80 as it's closer to some national sites. If I did this, would it deviate my 4 days much and is it a safe major highway? I don't want to drive 2 lane roads and stop lights.

Thanks.
    s-one

Default Too Much? Probably

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by s-one
    First, thanks for providing this forum.
    Thanks for visiting. I'll come back to your big question, but first lets start with some of the basics

Would be driving through the mountains on the I-70 towards Denver be dangerous or take longer than the other?
    The Interstates are one of the safest ways to travel in the U.S., There are very few places on the Interstate that could be considered dangerous.

I would recommend taking I-70, simply because its the views are fantastic. The travel time between I-80 and I-70 are pretty similar.

I've read some say go more north and use the I-90 instead of the I-80 as it's closer to some national sites. If I did this, would it deviate my 4 days much and is it a safe major highway?
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "national sites," but I don't see any reason for you to take I-90. Any trip to I-90 would make it impossible to reach Cleveland in 4 days.

Day 2 - Richfield, UT to Fort Morgan, CO 544 miles 8 hrs
    Day 3 - Fort Morgan, CO to Des Moines, IA 597 miles 8 hrs 30 min
    Day 4 - Des Moines, IA to Cleveland, OH 665 miles 10 hrs 35 min

Total: 2354.28 Miles 34 Hours 44 Minutes (Not including Gas and Rests)
    Here's where we get into the meat. This is a strenuous pace for adults and will probably be too much for your kids, particularly if they aren't used to making long distance trips.

First, your time estimates are too short. On a long distance trip, 53 mph is considered about the fastest pace you can really keep up when you include traffic/gas/rest stops. That means even on your shortest day you're looking at more than 10 hours on the road. That doesn't include time spent away from the highway for meals or doing anything that is not at a gas station or highway rest area.

I also notice that you've essentially back-loaded your trip, giving yourself the longest drive on your last day. I think its easier to make the longest stretches on the first day or two of your trip when you're less tired.

Our two kids are 4 and 5 1/2 years old. I plan to rest overnight at chain hotels during the CA to OH and NC to CA drives. I will utilize our DVD system, Leap Frog Leapsters and plenty of rest stops to the fullest
    Electronic toys are fun, but I would urge against relying too heavily on them. We've got a Leapster and a portable DVD, but I limit how much they are used. Its a personal thing, but there are plenty of things that kids can do on a roadtrip that don't involve focusing on a tv screen.

I'd strongly urge you to plan in at least one outside the car activity a day. It doesn't have to be elaborate, simply stopping at a nice park for an hour does wonders, there are several national parks along your route, and you can find a zoo or museum of some sort in almost every major city. Give the kids something to look forward to help them enjoy the trip.

Ultimately, I think this means you need to add at least one more day to your trip. I think a 5th day, spending less time behind the wheel and at least a few hours enjoying your time will make your trip much more enjoyable, and make it possible to be on speaking terms with your family by the time you get to Cleveland.

Default Traveling with the Family

I will utilize our DVD system, Leap Frog Leapsters and plenty of rest stops to the fullest
    This is subject that gets lot of attention from this board each year. Here is a very good post with lots of viewpoints about the use of DVDs for entertaining children on a road trip. I would read the whole thing -- because of the other tips included in it.
    I know you have attempted to calculate driving hours with fuel and rest breaks, but a more more reasonable calculation is to use an average speed of 53 mph over a travel day (including a couple of rest stops) and see if your estimates are on target. They look a little too conservative to me.
    I would think that six hours of actual travel would be plenty for those ages.
    Which way is a more comfortable ride for the family? Would be driving through the mountains on the I-70 towards Denver be dangerous or take longer than the other?
    I-70 is one of the most gorgeous routes in America. There is more elevation gain, but it is not inherently more dangerous -- it would be far more interesting for most folks!

Mark

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael
    I would recommend taking I-70, simply because its the views are fantastic.
    Awesome thanks!

First, your time estimates are too short. On a long distance trip, 53 mph is considered about the fastest pace you can really keep up when you include traffic/gas/rest stops. That means even on your shortest day you're looking at more than 10 hours on the road. That doesn't include time spent away from the highway for meals or doing anything that is not at a gas station or highway rest area.
    Ok, gotcha.. I'll have to rework it using the 53 mph average.

I also notice that you've essentially back-loaded your trip, giving yourself the longest drive on your last day. I think its easier to make the longest stretches on the first day or two of your trip when you're less tired.
    This is funnny because I was actually thinking the opposite where the kids may not be happy the first days drive and are much more used to it towards the end. Which was why I went with the longer back end. But you definately have a good point. I'll have to reconsider this.

Electronic toys are fun, but I would urge against relying too heavily on them. We've got a Leapster and a portable DVD, but I limit how much they are used. Its a personal thing, but there are plenty of things that kids can do on a roadtrip that don't involve focusing on a tv screen.

I'd strongly urge you to plan in at least one outside the car activity a day. It doesn't have to be elaborate, simply stopping at a nice park for an hour does wonders, there are several national parks along your route, and you can find a zoo or museum of some sort in almost every major city. Give the kids something to look forward to help them enjoy the trip.
    Good points!

Ultimately, I think this means you need to add at least one more day to your trip. I think a 5th day, spending less time behind the wheel and at least a few hours enjoying your time will make your trip much more enjoyable, and make it possible to be on speaking terms with your family by the time you get to Cleveland.
    All great ideas Michael! I appreciate your advises and will adjust accordingly.

s-one

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    This is subject that gets lot of attention from this board each year. Here is a very good post with lots of viewpoints about the use of DVDs for entertaining children on a road trip. I would read the whole thing -- because of the other tips included in it.
    Thank you Mark. I will read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    I know you have attempted to calculate driving hours with fuel and rest breaks, but a more more reasonable calculation is to use an average speed of 53 mph over a travel day (including a couple of rest stops) and see if your estimates are on target. They look a little too conservative to me.
    I would think that six hours of actual travel would be plenty for those ages.
    I-70 is one of the most gorgeous routes in America. There is more elevation gain, but it is not inherently more dangerous -- it would be far more interesting for most folks!
    Mark
    Great! Michael and yourself mention taking the I-70 towards Denver. I like this idea much better. I just want to make sure my family and I have a safe trip and I want to do my best planning everything out. I'm glad I asked this because if I didn't and took the I-70 and made gradual 10,000 feet climbs, I would have some doubts think I may be asking for trouble going this chosen direction. Thanks Mark for your valuable information.

So it looks as if attempting this summer trip with the family should be ok especially if I use 5 travel days as oppose to 4. Please, I do welcome more advise, tips and opinions if you have them. Thanks.

s-one

6. Default

My Wife just read this and she started laughing like crazy. I think its an appreciative laugh. :)

s-one

7. Default 5713 Mile Road Trip

Part of my leg for our summer road trip coming from SoCal is to drive through the mountains of Utah into Colorado. Since I'll be taking the I-70, are the mountain roads very windy (curvy) where it may cause motion sickness for kids in the back seat? I took a trip one winter to Big Bear, CA and they got queazy.. but Big Bear has some VERY windy roads. Thanks!

Default Not Even Close

Part of my leg for our summer road trip coming from SoCal is to drive through the mountains of Utah into Colorado. Since I'll be taking the I-70, are the mountain roads very windy (curvy) where it may cause motion sickness for kids in the back seat?
    Interstate highways employ long straight sections broken by sweeping curves. That section of I-70 is gorgeous and enables access to a region that is inaccessible to anything other than four-legged animals or very gnarly 4-WD vehicles. Your children will be fine!

Mark

Default shouldn't be a problem

Every mountain road is going to have some curves, and I-70 is no exception. However, Interstates are built to standards limiting grades and turns, so traffic can keep moving at freeway speeds.

Unless your kids are exceptionally sensative, I doubt you'll have any problems.

10. Default

Ok.. Good to hear. Thanks.