Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Mexico to Wyoming area

Rough plans beginning for a little jaunt down to New Mexico in probably end of April or May 2006.

Have had a few friends say there's not much to see/do in New Mexico other than Carlsbad Caverns (where I've already been). I can hardly believe that. What say ye?

From Ontario Canada to:
    through Missouri
    through Oklahoma City
    to Albuquerque NM
    Petroglyph NP
    White Sands NP
    Gila Cliff Dwellings
    Saguaro NP
    Organ Pipe Cactus NP
    Phoenix (free stopover with friends!)
    Scottsdale (just 'cause never been there)

through Yellowstone (been there before)
    use Chief Joseph hwy (been on Beartooth before)
    to Cody (visit friends)
    & back to Ontario Canada

Streets & Trips says it can be done in a couple weeks the way I travel. If you recall, I'm the one who sleeps in my car & uses national park campgrounds, etc.

Let me know if there are some places I'm missing or should substitute,
    or even some places across Minnesota / Wisconsin on my way back where I should stop for a look.

Also *** will there still be snow up Cody WY way in late April?

Default Little to see in New Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by Syv
    Have had a few friends say there's not much to see/do in New Mexico other than Carlsbad Caverns (where I've already been). I can hardly believe that. What say ye?
    Syv, this sounds like a guantlet has been thrown down. Nothing to see, indeed...

In random order -- Bosque del Apache (do you know what 100,000 beating-on-air-wings sounds like?)

Taos and Santa Fe -- Pretty cool towns, lots of shops and an interesting introduction to southwestern culture and architecture.

Eagle Nest -- a truly magical valley with a resident transcendent spirit.

Route 66 memorabila and road lore.

Gila Cliff Dwellers Monument and the hot springs.

La Mesilla -- courtyard and good food -- actually the best book I have ever found for finding these hidden places is this one.

White Sands National Monument -- keep an eye out for those mysterious Ibex.
    Streets & Trips says it can be done in a couple weeks the way I travel. If you recall, I'm the one who sleeps in my car & uses national park campgrounds, etc.
    I call this the "Gen & Syv" style of road distance management...
    Also *** will there still be snow up Cody WY way in late April?
    Well, as your friends have no doubt mentioned, Cody has seen record amounts of snowfall this year. In a normal year, I would say no, this year???

Mark

Default Stock for the Broth

Just a few things to throw into the mix. It looks like you're planning on spending some time (a day maybe?) in the Tucson area. If so, on your way in on I-10, take some time for a side trip south of Benson to see Kartchner Caverns. And two things in Wisconsin that are near each other and near your route. The Circus World Museum in Baraboo is one of those attractions I've always wanted to get to and will some day. On the other hand, I have been to Wisconsin Dells, both as a kid and (too) many years later as an adult. In the intervening years it has become really built up and bills itself as a water park center, but the boat rides up through the Dells, some on WWII vintage DUKW's, are still worth the time.

AZBuck

Default Ummmm, I love NM!

Don't forget:

* Very Large Array
    * Smokey the Bear grave and museum
    * Roswell - lots of fun UFO stuff
    * Billy the Kid stuff in Lincoln and Lincoln County and the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway
    * Valley of Fires - lava flows
    * Gallup, NM - some great roadside kitsch off old Route 66 and the wonderful El Rancho Hotel, the hotel of the stars with some great old movie memorabilia
    * Tucumcari, NM - fun old west history and lots more roadside kitsch off old Route 66 (neon signs, googie architecture, etc.)
    * Cline's Corners - one of those funky tourist stops everybody has to do at least once

Gosh, how could anyone think there's nothing to do in New Mexico?
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 02-02-2006 at 10:32 AM. Reason: to fix link

Default Valley of Fire?

Great list, but I was curious about the Valley of Fire -- I am familiar with the one in Nevada -- but can't place the one in NM.
    Gosh, how could anyone think there's nothing to do in New Mexico?
    Well said!
    Mark

Default Yes, it's there!

Yes, New Mexico has a Valley of Fire, too. You might check out the link in my previous post! LOL

Default I did...

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Yes, New Mexico has a Valley of Fire, too. You might check out the link in my previous post! LOL
    I looked all over that map, I couldn't find a reference to the Valley of Fire... Maybe I am going blind?

Mark

Default oopsy-daisy!!!!

Oops....I put the wrong link there. The link is fixed. Unfortunately, the link doesn't give you too much info. And it's Valley of Fires, not Valley of Fire. Sorry for the confusion.

Default Another Link

Try this for a slightly more informative site on New Mexico's Valley of Fires. (Note that they also occasionally leave the 's' off the end!)

AZBuck

Default Cody, Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by Syv
    Rough plans beginning for a little jaunt down to New Mexico in probably end of April or May 2006...to Cody (visit friends) & back to Ontario Canada
    Syv, one of our long-time photo contributors -- Bob Brown -- is Cody local and would have some suggestions if you have time for sightseeing while there. But at the least, I would suggest going to the Draper Wing of Natural History Museum and, of course, the Whitney Gallery of Western Art

What route are you planning between Cody and Ontario? You might enjoy re-tracing some of Peter Thody's trip in South Dakota!

Mark