Default las vegas to anaheim

Hi, first time on forum, looks pretty good! Anyhow, coming from Australia with family in November (from a fairly small country town!) and was just wondering if you drive from Las Vegas to Anaheim do you have to navigate your way through Los Angeles or can you by pass it? (so we don't have to worry too much about getting lost!!! Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tucson, AZ

Default It's All LA!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

The bad news is, as the title suggests, that Los Angeles is such a sprawling megalopolis, that there is no way to avoid it all together. Although you will not have to drive through LA proper, that just means you won't cross some imaginary, invisible line on the ground and enter the city. You won't be able to tell that you're not in one of the largest cities in the world.

The good news is that navigation into Anaheim is relatively simple. You just stay on I-15, the main highway from Las Vegas, until you come to the Riverside Freeway, CA-91, and take that westbound to Anaheim. So you just need to find that one interchange, and of course, your way from the Riverside to wherever you're going in town. The standard advice to people driving in LA for the first time is to know the two or three interchanges that precede the one you want to use so that you will know when yours is coming up and can get over to the right for the exit.

Best of Luck.

3. Default

Anaheim is pretty easy to reach from the East, as AZBuck says ... and it's not too bad a place to be based because there are lots of cheap hotels. From Anaheim it's easy to get to the coast, basically just keep driving down Harbor Blvd and you come out at Newport Beach - from there you can't get lost if you stick to the coast. To get other places it's best to use the freeways and plan your route as it's so easy to get hopelessly lost, especially if you miss an exit or come off at the wrong one. The worst thing about US Freeways is if you come off, it's not always possible to rejoin at the same point ... you can see the freeway, but the on-ramp is hidden down some back alley a mile away ... and in the process of looking for it you lose your bearings!.

It's relatively easy to go from a good area to a bad one without realising it, if you're a visitor (like me) and sometimes just drive around aimlessly to take in the sights ... just look for the telltail signs, which are not always that obvious after dark. If you get lost at night, it;s better to take a big detour round the freeways than to come off somewhere you don't know and try and take some minor roads that look ok on a map ... I did that a few times and wished I hadn't.

Default las vegas to anaheim

Thanks for your replies. I knew Anaheim was fairly close to Los Angeles but this has confirmed it!! Just hope we can get a hire car with a really good GPS installed!! Failing that, maybe a bus would be better. But anyhow thanks again, will let you know if I have any more brain waves!!!!