Thread: any advice?

1. Default any advice?

My friend and I are currently working in Idaho, we plan to drive home to new york in april.. in a round about way.. thinking of going straight to seattle, then to portland, then down the coast on 101 to san francisco, then los angeles..... straight east from los angeles to baton rouge, then dont know what route to take home from there... 95 is awfully boring. we imagine the trip will take about two weeks. any suggestions? ideas?

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default No place is boring

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

thinking of going straight to seattle, then to portland, then down the coast on 101 to san francisco, then los angeles..... straight east from los angeles to baton rouge,
    Looks like you have quite an interesting trip ahead!

then dont know what route to take home from there... 95 is awfully boring.
    Tsk, you forgot about one of the most important golden rule of road tripping : no place is ever boring:-). One might find a destination less appealing but another one may get his kicks out of it. I was quite surprised myself to learn that someone actually wrote a book about I-95 attractions. Maybe it would give you an opportunity for you to rediscover that SuperInterstate with new eyes.

Another option from Baton Rouge to NY : I-59, I-24, I-75 and I-81 and I-84. Not too far off the road, you will find Shenandoah National Park in VA and the Great Smoky Mtns NP in TN.

Cheers!
    Gen

Default Blue Ridge

If you want to get off the super-slab, you could take the Blue Ridge Parkway on your way from Louisiana to NY. Its not a fast route by any means, but if you're not in a hurry by that point of your trip and you want to see some of the best views of the Eastern US, it would be a good option.

4. Default

is two weeks a good time estimate, seeing sights but not spending more than a day or two in any one place? and suggestions on a route from los angeles to baton rouge?

Default Keep on Truckin'

Quote Originally Posted by mamaniNYC
    is two weeks a good time estimate, seeing sights but not spending
    more than a day or two in any one place?
    The full extent of your trip is a little over 5000 miles. You can do this in two weeks, including using US-101 and a big chunk of the Blue Ridge Parkway, if you keep up a steady pace of about 350 miles per day. This would allow you to spend a few hours, NOT a day or two, in any one place. Some people (and I'm one of them) find this is a very pleasant way to travel. Others find it a grind. You and your friend will have to decide for yourselves. What I like to do is to get an early start (say 7 AM) in the morning, spend a couple of hours on the road, have breakfast, put in a few more hours driving and then stop to see an attraction or get some hiking in, and continue alternating between driving and doing things through the day, knocking off for the evening around 8 or 9 PM. What you'll have to do no matter how you choose to spend each day is to keep a running tab on where you need to be to stay on track to get to New York by the end of your two weeks, and not let yourselves fall behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaniNYC
    suggestions on a route from los angeles to baton rouge?
    The direct route between Los Angeles and Baton Rouge is I-10, and with your limited time, you'll have to pretty much stick to it

AZBuck