1. Default Big Military Move. SoCal - NC

I'm leaving Jan 7 for an east coast duty station in NC. Everyone keeps saying that the I-40 should be fine. My wife and I will be taking our Kia Sorrento and also her Mustang. I want the least possible trouble. I have already taken the 10 across country and wonder if I should just try this trouble free route instead of worrying about snow and such. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

Tucson, AZ

Default It Comes Down to the Weather

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

There are a few things to consider here. Neither of your two cars are exactly my first choice for foul weather transport, particularly on slick roads. From your post, I'm guessing that neither you nor your wife have a lot of experience with winter driving. All of this will be OK if there is little to no possibility of snow, sleet, or the like on your trip and I-40 would be my first choice for a trip from NC to SoCal (I used Wilmington to LA to check routes). So what this comes down to is: What is the likelihood that you will hit bad weather on your drive? Long range forecasting can be a bit iffy, and we're just now entering the period when forecasts for your trip's window are being made. What I see is a forecast for wet weather and near freezing temperatures (at night) for the region around Knoxville where you'd cross the Appalachians to get to I-40, and you will be at the tail end of a warm, dry spell in the Albuquerque to Flagstaff area where you cross the Continental Divide. So, nothing that's a show stopper. I think your best bet at this point is to plan, or at least look at, both routes with an eye to using I-40 if the weather holds but being ready to switch to I-10 if it doesn't. Check the weather forecasts in about a week when they'll be more accurate and reliable and firm up your plans then.

3. Default Reply

Wow, That was a very helpful and expedient reply. You were right. My wife and I don't have much cold weather driving experience. As far as choice of vehicles I can't change that. (ha ha) I will start checking out the weather for these areas. I hope to make it to Amarillo, Texas by the first day. We have two other people going with us to rotate out for sleepiness and such. Thank you for your help.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default I-10 and Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Daytonrt
    I have already taken the 10 across country and wonder if I should just try this trouble free route instead of worrying about snow
    AZBuck's advice is spot-on, but one caveat -- I-10 is not an ice-free route this time of year. Some of the worst black ice I have ever driven in was encountered near Van Horn on I-10. As I write this memo, there are some large, wet winter storms slamming northern California and the look-out for storms next week as they make their way eastward is strong. Pay attention to local weather broadcasts, print out a list of the state road condition hotline phone numbers and check those hotlines 2-3 times per day and make decisions as necessary about the route. Slow down, read and follow these tips -- you will be fine.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Don't Forget 66

I-40 replaced Route 66 much of the way to Oklahoma City. If the weather's good, get off and drive some on it. It will be on one side or the other of I-40 most of the way. Stop at the Big Texan in Amarillo, Texas, for a great meal and, if you can eat a 72 oz. steak in an hour, a free one.

US 70 is a nice drive from Nashville to Knoxville where you can pick up I-40 again. You definitely want to take I-40 through the mountains.

Where are you going to be stationed? I just got back from Goldsboro, NC, home of Seymour Johnson Air Force base. Plus, I was at Topsail Island near Camp Lejune.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --- RoadDog