Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    cali_trekker Guest

    Default Road Trip from San Fran to Portland, OR this christmas :)

    Hi all,

    I am planning on a 6-day road trip from san francisco to portland.. This is going to be a one-way trip since I dont have time to drive back.. I have a few questions to those who have done this.. Considering it is winter time,

    1. Which route is better in terms of scenery? Highway 1 to leggett and then 101 along the coast? or should I take I-5 after leggett...

    2. Any places that you recommend for staying? I am interested in youth hostels since I will be traveling alone..

    3. Any interesting stops/must-see's on the way?

    Thanks for any suggestions.. Sorry if this was covered before, I searched the forum and could not find anything..

    - Mehmet

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Youth Hostels

    Quote Originally Posted by cali_trekker
    I am planning on a 6-day road trip from san francisco to portland.. This is going to be a one-way trip since I dont have time to drive back.. I have a few questions to those who have done this.. Considering it is winter time,
    Mehmet, Welcome to the Forum!
    1. Which route is better in terms of scenery? Highway 1 to leggett and then 101 along the coast? or should I take I-5 after leggett...
    If you have the full six days for the journey to Portland, I would urge you to take the coast route all the way to either Lincoln City or Tilamook before turning east to Portland.
    2. Any places that you recommend for staying? I am interested in youth hostels since I will be traveling alone..
    We don't know that much positive about youth hostels here in the United States. We do maintain links for organizations that provide info about them, but in our experience, unless you are seeking uncomfortable beds, no privacy and questionable management arrangements, you would be much better off to seek motel accomodations. Although we haven't stayed at the Fool's Inn near Mendocino, it looks like it might an inexpensive place.
    3. Any interesting stops/must-see's on the way?
    I can only think of a couple of hundred "must-sees" along this route. But I don't have that much time, so here are a couple: the Marin Headlands (take the road just north of the Golden Gate and out to the end of the road,) Mendocino, Avenue of the Giants, Eureka, Redwood National Park, the entire Pacific Coast Scenic Byway from the California border to the Columbia River. At Reedsport, take a detour on SR-38 (about 3.5 miles) and visit the Dean Creek Elk viewing area -- about hundred of these magnificent animals can often been seen in the meadow. If it is at all stormy when you reach the Oregon coast -- you must stop at the Smelt Sands State Recreation area just to the north of Cape Perpetua. There are finger-like dark-black basalt rock formations that stick into the ocean and cause huge waves! As you approach Newport you can see the tallest remaining lighthouse in Oregon at Yaquina Point.

    Hope this helps a little.

    Mark

  3. #3
    cali_trekker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Mehmet, Welcome to the Forum! If you have the full six days for the journey to Portland, I would urge you to take the coast route all the way to either Lincoln City or Tilamook before turning east to Portland.
    Thanks!! I have decided to go up till Tilamook..

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    the Marin Headlands (take the road just north of the Golden Gate and out to the end of the road,) Mendocino, Avenue of the Giants, Eureka, Redwood National Park, the entire Pacific Coast Scenic Byway from the California border to the Columbia River. At Reedsport, take a detour on SR-38 (about 3.5 miles) and visit the Dean Creek Elk viewing area -- about hundred of these magnificent animals can often been seen in the meadow. If it is at all stormy when you reach the Oregon coast -- you must stop at the Smelt Sands State Recreation area just to the north of Cape Perpetua. There are finger-like dark-black basalt rock formations that stick into the ocean and cause huge waves! As you approach Newport you can see the tallest remaining lighthouse in Oregon at Yaquina Point.
    Thanks Mark.. I have noted these places down.. I also found this website which is quite helpful in planning, their website covers major highways used in roadtrips..

    - Mehmet
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-11-2005 at 12:26 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default The carry-along version

    Quote Originally Posted by cali_trekker
    ... I also found this website which is quite helpful in planning, their website covers major highways used in roadtrips..
    Actually that website is the online version of the always popular Road Trip USA written by Jamie Jensen. It is a classic in the collection of road lore books and a resource we always keep handy here in the office. It is not as up to date as some of the other books we recommend, but still a worthy book to carry with you on your trip.

    When you get to Portland -- if you like yummy bread -- you should stop by Grand Central Baking and tell the owners Howdy from RoadTrip America! (they are family to the RTA founders).

    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. Cali Road Trip - San Fran to San Diego
    By in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:10 PM
  2. Road trip report - Seattle to Yosemite
    By S in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 07:46 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 07:20 PM
  4. Planning road trip from N.C to San Fran...Want to share the fun?
    By Jennifer Pierce in forum Share the Gas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2001, 06:57 PM
  5. Christmas Road trip along the East coast of the US
    By Sudeep Bose in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2001, 06:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES