Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Default What is the best route from CT to Tucson?

    Hi everyone. I am moving from Connecticut to Tucson in January 2005. I will be driving my 1994 jeep Wrangler that has been modified with a 4" suspension lift. I will be towing a 5'x8' enclosed trailer. I will have my motorcycle and some personal items in the trailer. I would like to find the best route to travel with the least amount of hills. (Driving the Jeep will be difficult enough). Thanks for your help. Bill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Are you sure you are legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by bcenza14
    I will be driving my 1994 jeep Wrangler that has been modified with a 4" suspension lift. I will be towing a 5'x8' enclosed trailer. I will have my motorcycle and some personal items in the trailer. I would like to find the best route to travel with the least amount of hills. (Driving the Jeep will be difficult enough).
    Welcome to the Forum, Bill!

    What will be the tongue-weight on the trailer? Are you sure you will be legal? As far as routes go, I would opt for the diagonal and use I-64 to I-40 and than west. You will have to go over the continental divide someplace, and I-40 is one of the most gentle grades.

    Mark

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Welcome to the Forum, Bill!

    What will be the tongue-weight on the trailer? Are you sure you will be legal? As far as routes go, I would opt for the diagonal and use I-64 to I-40 and than west. You will have to go over the continental divide someplace, and I-40 is one of the most gentle grades.

    Mark
    thanks for the reply. I never thought about the tongue weight and legal issues. Am I going to have to go through some weigh stations or something similar along the route? I've towed the trailer and motorcycle many times and it handles fine. I've had the towing bumper and connections beefed up to accomodate the trailer.

  4. #4
    RoadTripper Brad Guest

    Default

    Although I've never delt with such trailers, my advice (being one who would essentially be in the same seat as you are, as far as driving across country) would be to stop at the Points of Entry stations, and that should give you a clear indication on whats next. I hope someone who has more experience with towing such trailers across state lines can tell me if that is a good asumption to take with you or not, because that's what I would do!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    9,358

    Default Minor Alteration

    The route that Mark gave you is generally the best for someone pulling a trailer, but I'd make one change. From Albuquerque, NM use I-25 south to I-10 west to Tucson, and also use the cutoff between Hatch and Deming NM on NM-26. This is considerably shorter than I-40 into AZ and then I-17 south to Phoenix and I-10 east(!?) into Tucson. As for crossing the Continental Divide - if there wasn't a sign on I-10 where you cross it in NM, I'd swear you wouldn't even know it was there.

    AZBuck

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Do not enter the Point of Entry Stations!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia4-brad m
    I hope someone who has more experience with towing such trailers across state lines can tell me if that is a good asumption to take with you or not, because that's what I would do!
    Point of Entry Weigh Stations (known as Chicken Coops in CBer lingo) are for commercial trucks only. Do not enter those stations -- it will make both the professional drivers and the state troopers to view you as a nuisance, at best.

    As far as tongue weight goes -- you need to look at the original manual for your truck or look at the hitch and see what the maximum tongue weight and maximum towing capacity for your vehicle. Off-hand a 1994 Jeep Wrangler may be have insufficient capacity to tow that trailer.
    I've towed the trailer and motorcycle many times and it handles fine. I've had the towing bumper and connections beefed up to accomodate the trailer.
    Oh, well in that case, I imagine you will be fine.

    Mark

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    The route that Mark gave you is generally the best for someone pulling a trailer, but I'd make one change. From Albuquerque, NM use I-25 south to I-10 west to Tucson, and also use the cutoff between Hatch and Deming NM on NM-26. This is considerably shorter than I-40 into AZ and then I-17 south to Phoenix and I-10 east(!?) into Tucson. As for crossing the Continental Divide - if there wasn't a sign on I-10 where you cross it in NM, I'd swear you wouldn't even know it was there.

    AZBuck
    Thanks for the advice. I have a couple questions. What route should I take to get to I-64? Also, where should I pick up I-40?

  8. #8
    RoadTripper Brad Guest

    Default

    Wow! Thanks for the tip, Mark, I didn't think the state police would get as upset as your post sort of hints at for someone going into one just to "CYR", but then again, you make a valid point that didn't cross my mind... that they are first and foremost for commercial rigs...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    9,358

    Default I_64 and I-40 Connections

    The way I'd suggest that you get from Connecticut to I-64 and on to I-40 while pulling a trailer is to stay out of the metropolitan New York. To this end you might try I-84 west to Scranton, PA and a short jog on I-380 (northwest) to connect with I-81 south to Hagerstown, MD. There, take I-70 west to I-79 south at Morgantown, WV and join I-64 west at Charleston, WV. At St. Louis, pick up I-44 west to Oklahoma City and I-40. I think that's all the connecting roads involved, and most of them are actually quite scenic. It should be enjoyable.

    AZBuck

Similar Threads

  1. Driving from Los Angeles to Baltimore, MD, Fastest Route?
    By sd1023x in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
  2. Las Vegas to Sedona to Tucson
    By davidstpaul in forum Going to Las Vegas!
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
  3. Route 1 from New York to Florida
    By SusanT in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 03:46 PM
  4. Atlanta to San Francisco tomorrow - northern route?
    By imported_stacy in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 05:22 PM
  5. Route from FL to CA??
    By HiddenSky in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES