Jewels Guest

Default Vancouver to Monterey this December

I am planning to drive solo from Vancouver BC to Monterey CA. As this is my first solo road trip I have given myself two days. I am leaving Van. probably on Dec. 18 and returning to Van. by Jan 3rd.

My reason for posting is to determine the best route for the trip. As I have no need to sight see I would like to determine the quickest and safest way down. And the recommendation of some reasonable cost effective accomodations?

My car is reliable and is being checked out by a mechanic before my journey as well as buying chains. However, it's a small '87 Toyota Tercel and as a result I'm cautious about driving down the I5 straight due to the possible road conditions and am wondering if I should head over to the 101 at Grants Pass??

All and any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed!!!

Thanks!

Default Quickest

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels
    I am planning to drive solo from Vancouver BC to Monterey CA. As this is my first solo road trip I have given myself two days. I am leaving Van. probably on Dec. 18 and returning to Van. by Jan 3rd. My car is reliable and is being checked out by a mechanic before my journey as well as buying chains. However, it's a small '87 Toyota Tercel and as a result I'm cautious about driving down the I5 straight due to the possible road conditions and am wondering if I should head over to the 101 at Grants Pass??
    Welcome to the Forum!

As you probably know, the most direct (& therefore fastest) route would be I-5, even using I-5, this will still be a 1050 mile trip -- which will require two full days of driving. If you divert over to US-101 at Grants Pass, it will add about 3-4 hours of driving time. I would suggest you plan on staying on I-5 and only head for the coast if there is certain threat of snow and/or closures on I-5.

mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

I agree with Mark. Expect a little snow in the pass areas of SO OR and NO CALI, but for the most part it shouldn't be too bad. Check out the gear-up section for some items you should pack in your car. A CB radio with NOAA weather function is a good buy. Just keep an eye on the weather conditions, listen to the AM dial every so often for weather reports of if you have a web-enabled cell phone you can get info directly from there. Pass reports can also be obtained by dialing 5-1-1, which will connect you with the state DOT traveler information service. They are recordings, but they do post advisories about pass conditions.

Jewels Guest

Default THanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!!! They are all great!

Although plans have changed a little, ie. I now have driving companions!!! the journey shall not be as long and your suggestions are still relevant!!!

Thanks again!

I just returned from a trip to Bakersfield Ca. from Seattle. I-5 is your best bet. Even over the siskiyous pass. The States of Oregon and California do a pretty good job of keeping the passes clear of snow and Ice. I drove my 86 Toyota pickup down there and back with little problem.

Maybe the only problem your tercel may encounter would be the steep 6% grade at the siskiyous. Your car may only be able to go 50-55 MPH at best and the posted speed limit through there is about 65. Unless your vehicle has a V6 or V8, this would be the norm though. Just take it slow and easy and you will be fine. We left Seattle at 6 AM and hit the pass by around 2 PM that same day, so if you are coming from Vancouver tack on another 2 or 3 hours. It's best to take the pass in daylight hours as Nightime visibility is pretty bad this time of year. So I would leave at 3 or 4 AM if I were you. That should put you in Ashland by about 2 or 3 PM. Then gas up in Ashland to have a full tank for the pass.