aethelwulfskin Guest

Default In the middle of February--what's the safest route to Las Vegas?

Will drive from northern Ontario to Cincinnati around the 10th of February--then.......?????
    Is it best, in going to Las Vegas from there, to think in terms of heading to I-70 or I-40--or, at that time of year, further south still?!
    It is a given that we will watch weather forecasts carefully, and also will have a weather radio in the car. But wondered, from those of you familiar with the territory, what the pros and cons of the two routes are. We love to drive, but don't want to be foolish! and this is new territory.
    If weather luck were with us, which is the nicest route? If travel days were more questionable, which is the safer? We would like to be in Las Vegas by the Feb 18th--how many full driving days, but not killer days (this *is* a holiday), is it from Cincinnati to Vegas? How many extra days should be built in for safety's sake?

Default I wouldn't worry

Quote Originally Posted by aethelwulfskin
    Will drive from northern Ontario to Cincinnati around the 10th of February--then.......?????
    If you live in Northern Ontario, I doubt you will find any weather condition in the United States to be of much concern!
    Is it best, in going to Las Vegas from there, to think in terms of heading to I-70 or I-40--or, at that time of year, further south still?!
    Since I tend to choose based on beauty over other considerations -- the Rockies in winter are very cool. If I-70 is open -- go for it!
    We would like to be in Las Vegas by the Feb 18th--how many full driving days, but not killer days (this *is* a holiday), is it from Cincinnati to Vegas? How many extra days should be built in for safety's sake?
    The shortest possible route would be I-40 at about 1960 miles and I would suggest planning on taking a full five days to make that journey. If you take I-70 I would suggest allowing an extra day so you can enjoy the views!

Mark

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Well, clearly there is no single simple answer to the questions you raise. The best anyone can do is lay out what the various options are and let you choose based on your own preferences. First off, there is almost no difference in the distance you'd have to travel whether you used I-70 or I-40 (about 30 miles out of almost 2000! All my distance and time determinations start from Cincinnati.) Advantages of the I-70 route would be the spectacular scenery as you cross the Rockies through western Colorado, and the national parks of southwestern Utah, including Bryce and Zion. Advantages of the I-40 option would be the chance to travel parts of the historic US-66 alignment, the Ozarks, and the Grand Canyon. The southern (I-40) route would generally be several degrees warmer, while your chances are slightly greater of having the road temporarily closed due to snow in the Colorado and Utah mountains, but given that you will be watching the weather and understand that you might have to build in a day or two for such a delay, this alone should not dictate your choice of routes. I'd allow a minimum of 4 days to travel either route plus as many days as you'd like to take to explore along the way. I think a single day for possible weather delay would suffice for any storm that you're likely to encounter.

AZBuck

aethelwulfskin Guest

Default So so helpful!! Thank you...

You have corroborated what we were already thinking--thanks to both of you who responded to my query! It isn't as if we aren't used to winter driving, but it's good to know 'what's what' from people who know more than we do!