geoinpdx Guest

Default OR 2 IN w/ trailer & Volvo

I'm considering moving back to IN from Oregon. I'm thinking about going in December, but would rather move back sooner rather than later. I have an 88 Volvo 240 wagon. I am considering moving with a small uhaul trailer. I have a bit more than would fit in the car only. I am thinking that I would follow the same route I took on the way out here only in reverse. That would be I-84 from Portland to Ogden, then I80 from there to Chicagoland and I know the rest by heart. I am looking for the following advice.

1) As I recall I-84 just outside of Pendleton was some of the gnarliest road I remember-going up the blue mountains. I did the slope from WY into SLC at night and don't know what it's like to go up it. If anyone knows the grades or trecherousness (new word?) of this route would be helpful especially through different times of the year.

2) I was somewhat concerned about security and safety of the trailer when stopping along the way which is a necessary evil, any advice.

3) Is there anyone out there who has done any towing with a volvo. Or special considerations.

I'd also like to know where to expect the worst weather along the way. It didn't seem as though I was really in mountainous terrain for most of the route, but August is a lot different.

Thanks George

Default Blue Mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by geoinpdx
    I'm considering moving back to IN from Oregon. I'm thinking about going in December, but would rather move back sooner rather than later. I have an 88 Volvo 240 wagon. I am considering moving with a small uhaul trailer. I have a bit more than would fit in the car only. I am thinking that I would follow the same route I took on the way out here only in reverse. That would be I-84 from Portland to Ogden, then I80 from there to Chicagoland and I know the rest by heart.
    George, Welcome to the Forum!
    1) As I recall I-84 just outside of Pendleton was some of the gnarliest road I remember-going up the blue mountains.
    I think your memory is playing tricks on you. There is a gradual slope up the pass from Pendleton, but I just drove that route and I don't remember anything I would consider "gnarly".
    I did the slope from WY into SLC at night and don't know what it's like to go up it.
    I just don't think you will any problem with the ascent on I-80 -- it is very gradual. The real problem is related to weather -- ground blizzards can make the route somewhat more challenging. Just remember to check the road conditions and read our winter driving tips here.
    2) I was somewhat concerned about security and safety of the trailer when stopping along the way which is a necessary evil, any advice.
    Generally we recommend parking the trailer so that the front desk of the motel can keep an eye on it. A "tip" goes a long way in that regards.

geoinpdx Guest

Default thank you

I've driven the stretch between LaGrande and Pendleton and to me it ranks right up there with the west side of Mt. Hood on US 26 as far as the grade and curviness with the switchbacks. It's funny to me how curvy some of the freeways in OR are. Just look at I-5 through Portland and the curves and hills you face including the two interstate bridges across the Willamette River.

Also I was wondering if anyone has traveled this route during different times of the year. And would have any idea of what the range of conditions would be so I know what to expect. I know that conditions can vary depending on the weather systems that come through. I haven't set a time yet, part of it is getting things set on the car: replacing rear suspension bushings, and getting a trailer hitch installed on the car, and making sure that I have adequate funds.

But I appreciate your comments regarding i-80 out of ogden, since I only knew the down grade and did that at night. Also before I do go, I will do some testing with a friend's trailer to see how the whole set up handles. He also has a older volvo 240 wagon too, and the hills in town will serve as a good test for how things behave.

Thanks again.

4. Default Oregon to Indy

We just made the same trip in reverse at the end of sept. But we came thru Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore and across I-90. You shouldn't have any trouble on the interstates tho. As long as your car is in good condition and you check the weather reports. Sometimes a days delay can either put you ahead of or behind a storm front.