Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    politigal75 Guest

Default Anyone's trip being impacted by the hurricane?

I had posted a couple weeks ago I was going to take 3 weeks and head east, then home through the south. With so many areas being under water I had planned to stop and see, I'm going to have to change where we go.

Has anyone either in the midwest or eastern states noticed any problems carrying over from the flooding in New Orleans or other areas hit by the hurricanes?

I expect gas to go over $3 everywhere, but was wondering if there were places that had a lot of people being sent there after evacuating places like New Orleans.

2. Default

I was planning on heading back home by taking a very southern route through, NOLA, Biloxi, etc. but now I am gonna head toward Memphis.

Paying for gas is going to horrible. I think it will be about a 40% increase from what I paid in just June. YAY!!

Default A little more serious

Quote Originally Posted by politigal75
    Has anyone either in the midwest or eastern states noticed any problems carrying over from the flooding in New Orleans or other areas hit by the hurricanes?
    Two of our long-term RTA correspondents are missing and others have reported 100% loss of homes and businesses in extended families. As owners of RTA we are weighing what we can do to assist.

I would suggest that you swing way to the north of the affected areas -- the roads are a mess and it is going to be long time before any level of normalcy is achievable.

Mark

politigal75 Guest

Thanks for the information. I'm beginning to think north might be a better idea. I'd rather see the New Orleans and other areas hit when they have had some time to rebuild.

I can only hope that gas prices will have dropped when we leave in four weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Two of our long-term RTA correspondents are missing and others have reported 100% loss of homes and businesses in extended families. As owners of RTA we are weighing what we can do to assist.
    Oh, Mark....how horrible. I will add them to my prayer list. This is so horrific. Please let us know how this turns out. And let us know if there is anything the rest of us can do to help.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Yeah, Mark has it right... if you are planning on traveling, I think the furthest south you should venture is through St. Louis for the time being.

If anyone is looking to help out, everyone knows that the ARC is accepting donations, but don't forget volunteers are needed nationwide (we are receiving refugees in Phoenix!), and donations are greatly needed to the Humane Society of the United States and the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), since Red Cross aid is not applicable to animals and many families are being forced to leave their four-legged companions behind.

I am volunteering as many hours as I can with the local Red Cross, and donating up to $50 each pay day to the ASPCA.

Brad M.

Thanks for your ideas, Brad. As an animal lover, I hadn't thought of those types of agencies. I'll add those organizations to my current list of organizations that bring aid to people.

Default Update from North Louisiana

Hey all. I'm in North Louisiana, so I didn't even get rain from the hurricaine here.
    However, the roads are insane. My sister traveled down 171 from Shreveport to Lake Charles yesterday and reported that there are more military convoys using that road than she's ever seen before. There are signs on all the interstates saying that New Orleans is closed and every available building in the Shreveport-Bossier area is full of people. The best estimate that I have is that Shreveport has an extra 25-30 thousand people here since last week. The roads are unbelievable.

I think the suggestion about not going further south than St. Louis is a good one for the next month or so. After that, I encourage people to come and visit. The state of LA is going to be losing lots (and I mean lots) of money from tourism. Please come back and enjoy some of the other sights that are still standing and not waterlogged in Southwest LA and North LA. It's going to take us a while to recover, but we will. This is by far not the first time NO has been underwater and probably won't be the last time.

Laura

Default One Eyewitness Report

I will share with you an email I received this morning from a friend of mine, a lawyer in New Orleans:

I visited New Orleans yesterday with a special federal task force. We passed military check points and visited my home, the CBD and the Vieux Carre. No damage to my house except tree damage. I have 10 ancient oaks and several pines on my property that will need some attention. My house was unscathed. I live in the highest part of town and close to the Mississippi River which is on the far side of town from the Lake where the levee broke. As a result, no water. We had armed federal agents with us in case we had squatters. There were none and my home was secure. There were a lots of guys in fatigues through out town with M16s and sidearms.

We visited the federal command post which until last week was the Greyhound bus station. The feds have set up an open air temporary prision on the train platforms. Lots of military. They are getting the situation under control.

We toured the CBD and Vieux Carre. Except for the water in the CBD in various places, it looks fixable in the short term. I did not see a broken window in the VC. The awning at Café du monde did not have a rip. This all can be put back together. There are lots of reasons for optimism despite the absolute devastation and adversity that we face.

But, I sound so self centered and selfish. There was and will be a lot of human suffering. Lots of folks will have to bull doze their homes and start over. Some may never return. The poor of New Orleans will have a rough time. The human suffering is immense.

AZBuck

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Thanks for the insider info Buck! I agree with your friend, that some may never return...

Just... I think we should all avoid eating any sea-life from the Gulf o' Mexico for a while... that be some NASTY water they are pumping out of The Big Easy.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-07-2005 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Editorial policy