Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ecourey Guest

    Default Yellowstone to Glacier

    Hi all,

    We will be driving from Yellowstone to Glacier this summer and would love some suggestions from others. We'll be staying in Jackson for a few days exploring Tetons and Yellowstone, then plan to drive from Jackson back up through Yellowstone and onto Glacier. We'll do some stops in Yellowstone the day we begin the Glacier drive, but our plan is to get as far into Montana as we can. We won't be able to get all the way to Glacier that day (i don't think) but what we're trying to figure out is what would be the best stopping point for us between yellowstone and glacier that is interesting, that would have any availability in the month of august, and that would put us close enough to glacier so that we could get there early the next morning to nab a campsite?

    thanks in advance for your help - we really appreciate it and are so excited for our trip!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Where in Glacier?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecourey
    We will be driving from Yellowstone to Glacier this summer and would love some suggestions from others. We'll be staying in Jackson for a few days exploring Tetons and Yellowstone, then plan to drive from Jackson back up through Yellowstone and onto Glacier. We'll do some stops in Yellowstone the day we begin the Glacier drive, but our plan is to get as far into Montana as we can. We won't be able to get all the way to Glacier that day (i don't think) but what we're trying to figure out is what would be the best stopping point for us between yellowstone and glacier that is interesting, that would have any availability in the month of august, and that would put us close enough to glacier so that we could get there early the next morning to nab a campsite?
    Welcome to the Forum! I just returned from a short drive through Glacier -- and found some sections of the park closed to bad behavior on the part of some of the local bear population. Where were you planning on camping? It is extremely unlikely you will be affected by this bears, but just curious.

    Since it is on your way -- I would suggest an over-night on or near Flathead Lake -- it may be one of the most gorgeous lakes in America.

    Mark

  3. #3
    ecourey Guest

    Default glacier sites

    Hi Mark

    Thanks for the reply - and I did read your article - it's great and we are really looking forward to experiencing Glacier! It looks like we'll be doing an overnight in Kalispell on our way from Yellowstone so we will be near Flathead and will definitely try to take time to explore. In terms of once we get in the park, I'm not sure yet what campgrounds we'll stay at - I think the for the first night maybe sprague creek or avalanche. For the second night, I think Many Glacier would be very cool but don't know if we could get there early enough in the morning to get a campsite, as it seems like it's a bit of a drive. Did you get to Many Glacier during your trip? If we're not able to get to Many Glacier, then I think we'll probably go to Rising Sun. Were those campgrounds/areas of the park plagued by bad bear behavior while you were there?

    Emily

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Avalanche

    Quote Originally Posted by ecourey
    Thanks for the reply - and I did read your article - it's great and we are really looking forward to experiencing Glacier! It looks like we'll be doing an overnight in Kalispell on our way from Yellowstone so we will be near Flathead and will definitely try to take time to explore. In terms of once we get in the park, I'm not sure yet what campgrounds we'll stay at - I think the for the first night maybe sprague creek or avalanche.
    I am afraid I wasn't paying enough attention, but I think I remember seeing a notice about bears near Avalanche, I know I saw one on a hiking trail near Logan Pass. Glacier has the highest concentration Gizzlies in the lower 48 -- but there are plenty of black bears there too.
    For the second night, I think Many Glacier would be very cool but don't know if we could get there early enough in the morning to get a campsite, as it seems like it's a bit of a drive. Did you get to Many Glacier during your trip?
    No, we were on a bit of fast transit on the way to Havre. It isn't that far from St. Mary lake to the Many Glacier area -- 30 miles tops.
    If we're not able to get to Many Glacier, then I think we'll probably go to Rising Sun.
    Rising Sun, is a gorgeous location.

    Mark

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    169

    Default hey Mark!

    Glacier has the highest concentration Gizzlies


    What are Gizzlies ;-) (just kidding)

    Great report - going to the sun...

    Syv

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Grizz

    Quote Originally Posted by Syv
    Glacier has the highest concentration Gizzlies
    What are Gizzlies ;-) (just kidding)
    Syv,
    Spelling irregularities are just part of the deal with me -- about about Grizz?

    Mark

  7. #7
    ecourey Guest

    Default Black Hills suggestions?

    After a trip to Glacier, we are driving through the Black Hills and the Badlands on our way to the East Coast. We're planning to spend two nights in that area of South Dakota, and were wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good towns/campgrounds where we should stay?

    Thanks!
    Emily

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default I stayed in one of the national park campgrounds

    Quote Originally Posted by ecourey
    After a trip to Glacier, we are driving through the Black Hills and the Badlands on our way to the East Coast. We're planning to spend two nights in that area of South Dakota, and were wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good towns/campgrounds where we should stay?
    Emily,
    I can't remember the name of hte campground I stayed in -- but be forewarned, it will be windy around there. One thing I really recommend -- turn on the AM radio and listen to some of the Navajo stations -- the language is lyrical and quite enjoyable (especially for those nouns that have no translation!)

    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. Black Hills and Rocky Mountain trip
    By imported_Tim in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 05:58 AM
  2. boston to seattle, rte 90 vs. rte 94
    By elena in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 12:32 PM
  3. Denver to San Fran
    By Lucinda Campbell in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 04:50 PM
  4. Long Island, NY to Rocky Mountains?
    By Vin in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 11:00 PM
  5. WA to MN with Kids -- Ideas?
    By imported_Jim in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2002, 02:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES