1. Default Easy days, tough days...

In my experience (I love to drive), a 350-400 mile day is easy. A 500 mile day is about the end of a comfortable day's drive (9 to 10 hours), and for a day or two only, I can do 600-800 if I have to. Over 700 is not a fun day. Does that help? By the way, your performance may vary... (we're all different, right?)

Bob

kayrobinson Guest

Default Roadtrip newbie help

Hello everyone!

A friend & I are planning on driving from New York to Chicago, on 2/3 wks, going up north then out west....I'm talking up to Canada, then to Seattle, Oregon, California, Las Vegas, Arizona, then Chicago, with the possibility of segueing into other regions along the way.

We're planning on spending a few days in each, with the exception of Vegas. How long do you think it'll take us to go about this one way? Any suggestions as to how to go about making this the best trip, since this is the first time either one of us is doing this?

Many thanks in advance

3. Default Quick reply on time enroute

Kay,
    Not sure what you meant by one way -- what would be your end point? I figured a basic trip as you outlined with Vancouver included and San Francisco, before heading back toward Las Vegas and Arizona. If you do this very leisurely (5 hours driving each day), it would take about 30 days total r/t. Make the driving hours closer to 8 per day, and you could cover the distance in 18-20 days. The route I used as a model was about 7700 miles. Bob

Just to add to Bob's post: 5 hours daily for this long of a trip gets old. It doesn't leave you a lot of time to sightsee/explore or rest. If you have to drive 8 hours daily to make this route in the time allowed, you will be pretty zonked once you return home. At least, I would be zonked. Maybe you've got more energy? And I love to drive and love a good roadtrip. You might want to re-think this trip and scale back how far west you go for this trip. I think you're trying to cover too much ground and should save some of those places for another roadtrip.

But, if you're up for it, go for it. Each person's trip should be what they want to do. Just make sure you can handle that much daily driving before you leave. Or allow yourself the opportunity to opt out on some of the places along the way if you realize you can't keep up the pace. There's nothing wrong with changing your mind mid-trip.

kayrobinson Guest

We're thinking of driving from here to the west coast, then to the midwest, then fly back from there. I realize that this would totally defeat the whole purpose of roadtripping, but since we're first-timers....any suggestions? I wouldn't mind driving 10-15 hr/days, but would that give us enough time to do all the things we want to do?

We definitely want to cover Canada (Montreal & Toronto), California (San Fran to LA), Vegas & Chicago. Would 2 wks be enough on a moderate scale?

What exactly is the purpose of you doing a roadtrip anyway? Personally, it's something I'd like to do "before I die"..

6. Default Road trips

You'll quickly find that 10-15 hours days aren't much fun -- after a couple you'll find they're not much more than an exercise in fatigue & endurance.

For me, roadtripping is something I want to do UNTIL I die! Different people have different reasons for road trips -- here's a link you can follow for an essay about the two basic kinds. I love following roads through countryside I haven't seen before, seeing new towns and landscapes, seeing the cultural differences between different areas of our country (and others). Bob

I think you're trying to cover way too much ground in 2 weeks. You will have no time to explore or sightsee. While a speed run can be fun once in awhile to get you to a certain destination, it's not fun to do a speed run for an entire trip. Trust me and Bob on this.

I suggest you read the links Bob gave and do some perusing through the various forums here to read some insights and ideas. Personally, I would do Canada on one trip. California/Vegas on another trip. And Chicago-area on another trip.

kayrobinson Guest

Thank you for all your help & needful advice.......God bless you all!!

It sure feels a lot better now (well not so much)....Whatever the outcome of this trip will be, I'm sure it'll be one worth doing over & over again.

Thanks Bob & Judy