Default The "One Afternoon" Roadtrip

Don't know quite where to put this so, here it is.

Yesterday, I got an unexpected call from a friend who lives in another state. He was in a teeny town about 1.5 hours from me for a family wedding and found out that he was going to have some free time and invited me to come join him at the reception and do some visiting. Cool....I got some things done and hit the road. So what does this have to do with roadtrips?

When I pulled up MS Streets & Trips to ensure I knew exactly how to get there, I realized that there was a route there that I haven't driven in years. And that I could make a real fun roadtrip for the drive home. A bit longer but taking me over part of a beautiful mountain pass that I haven't been on for almost 2 years and then home through some lovely farmland countryside.

So I got three serendipitous events yesterday. A visit with a good friend, and roadtrips through two areas I haven't seen in a long time.

Now, I could have gone to this town the usual route....one where most of the trip is on the highway and interstate. Boring to me because I've driven this route scads of times. Or I could take these other routes and add a couple of short, interesting roadtrips to my day.

Just trying to encourage you all to think a bit outside of the box when you have to hit the road to see if you can squeeze in a little exploration even close to home.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

What town Judy?!? You're leaving me in SUSPENSE!
    Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 07-23-2005 at 03:04 PM. Reason: there is no such word as SUPSENSE

Well, I wouldn't wanna leave you in "supsense", Brad.....it was the exciting town of Roy.

Ya know, I hadn't realized it was so close to Fort Lewis. They were having some kind of drill so, every few minutes, a blast would go off. Made me jump every time. I guess during the wedding, you could hear artillery fire, machine guns, and bombs going off in the background. I bet the wedding video will be hysterical.

On the way there, I drove Hoquiam-Elma-Oakville-Rochester-Tenino-Rainier-Yelm-Roy. On the way back, I took the longer route of Roy-Elbe-Morton, then heading back to I-5 for a short ways north and then home via the Hwy 12 West (and back through Rochester-Oakville-Elma-Hoquiam). I haven't been up around Elbe and Morton since 2003 so it was nice to get back that way.

The more usual route is to go to Olympia and then up I-5, then taking the Yelm Hwy (I think it's 510) to Yelm and then to Roy. But this way is mostly highway and not as interesting. I'm glad I made the effort to find more interesting routes.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Ah.... a wedding with a live Iraq sound track... priceless.

But, anyway, finding interesting routes is what make's roadtripping great... if we all took the 'usuall' route all the time, I doubt this site would be as big as it is!

Yup, you got it.

But I think even those of us who love a good roadtrip sometimes forget when it comes to short trips. Just wanted to give everyone the reminder to keep on the lookout for the best roads...which are always new roads, imho.