alexr Guest

Default New York City to LA in 10 days

My girlfriend and I would like to go from New York City to LA in 10 or 11 days, leaving a day to visit Chicago. We'd like to know the most scenic possible route in that time. Some of the attractions we'd like to see are the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, the Rockies, and Death Valley. We'd also love to avoid stopping in Cleveland (I lived there and don't want to go back), so are wondering if Niagara Falls is worth the long detour. Another big question is this: what's worth seeing between Chicago and the Rockies?

Thanks a lot!

2. Default Can be done easily in 10 days

To run this route including all your stops in ten days, you need only cover about 335 miles each day. That's pretty easy. That gives you another 6 hours average each day to see the things that are along your route. The stops (everything you mentioned) fall in this order:

Niagara Falls, then across Ontario to Detroit.
    Around to Chicago and across the Great Plains on I-80 to I-76 at Big Springs, NE, then I-76 down to Denver.

I-70 west to Utah, then US191 south through Moab to Mexican Hat and Monument Valley. Pick up US160 at Kayenta, AZ, and follow that down to US89, then SR64 into the East Rim Drive of the Grand Canyon.

Continue on SR64 down to Williams, pick up I-40 across northern AZ to Kingman and US93 to Las Vegas.

Or (recommended alternative), from GC, take US89 back north into Utah and see Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon National Park and Zion National Park, if you have time. You can exit Zion west to I-15 and take that into Las Vegas.

Aside from being a great place to visit on its own, Las Vegas is your gateway to Death Valley NP. From there, it is an easy shot down to Los Angeles.

Not exact, but this route is approx 3500 miles (not counting the alternative stops of Zion and Bryce).

alexr Guest

Default Thanks!

Thanks a ton! If you get a chance, we'd also love to know if it's worth heading up through Minneapolis.

Either way, you've been a great help!

4. Default Mnpls/St Paul

These are beautiful cities -- and going that way puts you in line to see some of the attractions around the Black Hills -- Badlands NP, Deadwood, Custer State Park, Wounded Knee, Mt Rushmore, etc. However, adding those to your trip maybe starts to crowd things some -- you might need to adjust somewhere else unless you want to just drive through some places without stopping. I'd probably not do this myself, but it is your trip! Bob