aconstant440 Guest

Default OH to NC, on only ONE driver.

What is the fastest way to get from Columbus, OH to Corolla, NC? I don't know how to drive, so my husband will be driving the whole way. We discussed leaving Friday night around nine pm and driving for a few hours and then stopping for the night. Where is the best place to stop? The other option is leaving at like 4am Saturday morning and driving straight through. Any recommendations would be extremly helpful. I'm kind of worried about this trip.

BTW, we would prefer not to drive through Pittsburgh (70 e) or through the DC traffic.

Default Fastest Route is the most direct

Quote Originally Posted by aconstant440
    What is the fastest way to get from Columbus, OH to Corolla, NC? I don't know how to drive, so my husband will be driving the whole way. We discussed leaving Friday night around nine pm and driving for a few hours and then stopping for the night. Where is the best place to stop? The other option is leaving at like 4am Saturday morning and driving straight through. Any recommendations would be extremly helpful. I'm kind of worried about this trip.
    Sounds like a grand adventure to me. Going the most direct route would require about 12 hours of driving to cover the 700 miles. That is certainly doable in one day -- but stopping overnight would be fine too.

The fastest route is I-70 east (which will route you around Pittsburgh) and then eventually down I-95 (past Washington DC on the Outer loop) . If you would prefer not to use this route, I-77 is probably the best 2nd route -- head east at Charleston and go more or less due east to Virginia Beach and south --even though this route may have less traffic it is not as direct and so you need to add an additional hour or two on the trip.

But what a destination! I hope you post a field report about the Chesapeake Bay. Looks like a lovey place for a holiday!

Mark

I've never heard of Corolla but, from looking at it on the map, it looks like a very cool place to vacation. Wow....I would love to hear about this place when you get back.

MS Streets & Trips indicates that the quickest route is:
    * Leave Columbus going south on Hwy 23 to to slightly east of Chillicothe, OH, where you will take 35
    * Take 35 into West Virginia until it merges with I-64.
    * Take I-64 into Virginia until it merges with I-295 just NW of Richmond.
    * Take I-295 until it merges again with I-64, and then get back on I-64 (this effectively takes you around Richmond instead of through it)
    * Continue on I-64 until Chesapeake, Virginia, where you will turn south on 168
    * Continue on 168 into North Carolina, along Currituck Sound, where it merges with 158.
    * Continue on 158 through Point Harbor and across the bridge.
    * After crossing the bridge, you will turn north on 12 to Corrolla

This trip is about 660 miles and will probably take you about 12.5 hours to drive. So, it doesn't sound logical to try to make this in one day. By the time you add gas stops, bathroom breaks, meals, etc. 12.5 hours driving can easily become 15+ hours on the road.

If you plan on leaving Friday night and driving about 1/3 of the route, you will hit Prosperity, NC, after driving 213 miles/4 hours driving. It looks like they have some chain hotels there to choose from: Econolodge, Holiday Inn, Days Inn and more. This leaves you with about 8 driving hours the next day.

And NO Pittsburgh or DC!!