Rubber Ducky Guest

Default Irish Family(2 girls under 5)driving New York to Seattle

My family and I are moving from Ireland to Seattle in October. We plan to fly to New York and then take a road trip across the rest of the way. We have two children under the age of 5. We would appreciate any advice/suggestions about best routes/family attractions and experiences of how far we can expect to drive each day with two small children. Also, roughly how much should we expect to budget for the trip? (ie rental car/gas/hotels/food etc) Thanks!

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Once out west...

As far as east coast, I am not familiar with that area, so I don't know.
    If you have some extra time on your venture, you might want to take US Route 2, which begins in the northern part of Michigan, generally follows the US- Canadian border, which is about an hour to the north of the highway's main allignment.

I suggest this route for a number of reasons. Yes, I do realize that through the great plains US 2 is long and straight, but once you get into Montana and near the Rocky Mountains, this is where it gets fun!

First you'll encounter Glacier National Park (Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park/Glacier UN Biosphere Reserve/Glacier UN World Heritage Site), and a magnificant side road that actually goes up into the park, called Going-to-the-sun Road. It gives you some of the most spectacular views of inside Glacier National Park (according to family members who have been there).

From there, US 2 goes into Idaho near Bonner's Ferry. Very nice country up in Northern Idaho. It then dips south, and winds up in Spokane, Washington (one of Washington's largest cities).

Once out of Spokane, US 2 then crosses the Columbia Basin... again another stretch of wide-open spaces. Some very nice towns dot the highway.
    US 2 crosses the Columbia River at Wenatchee, Washington (one of Washington's latest cities to make the Metropolitain City list). This is the HEART of Washington's Apple Country. Just across the Olds Station Bridge is the Washington State Apple Commission's Visitor Center.

Just east of Wenatchee is the town of Cashmere. There you can tour the Applets and Cottlets candy factory, and try some of their delicious confections!

From here you begin to leave the desert part of Washington and enter the forests again, and enter the town of Leavenworth. This is a wonderful stop, right in the heart of the American Alps (the Cascade Range). This town is theamed around this nickname for the Cascade Range, by being Washington's Bavarian Village. With some wonderful shops, some of the nicest resorts and hotels in the state, there is plenty to do here, including white water rafting!

At the western edge of town, the highway enters Tumwater Canyon. I must say watch carefully while in the canyon. The Wenatchee River follows the highway, and at a point there is a small dam. Shortly after this dam is The Alps Candy Store, and is for most Washingtonians a "must stop".

The highway then climbs into the Cascade range through the small villages of Winston, Coles Corner, and Merrit. At the summit of Stevens Pass is the Stevens Pass Ski Resort. The views are excellent as you cross the summit from Chelan County into King County.

At the base of the Western side of the pass, about 5 miles from the bottom of the main slope, is Deception Falls (look for a small brown sign about 1/4 mile from the Right-hand turn off). This small pull out maintained by the Forest Service hides a big secret... a waterfall that actually goes UNDER the highway! (most people don't even realize that they cross a bridge or even go over a waterfall!) This is a wonderful stop, and is at the perfect point for a bathroom break (vault toilets).

US2 then winds through some more small villages and towns. You will notice many times that the Old Cascade Highway crosses the highway. The highway was moved years ago. (I have yet to travel the Old Cascade Highway, and when I do, Mark, expect one heck of a field report!)

US 2 ends in Everett, just north of Seattle. If you are heading to Seattle proper or points south (i.e. Tacoma), you can take highway 520 from Monroe to I-405. To get to Everett or points north (Marysville, Mount Vernon, Bellingham or the San Juan Islands and the Olympic Penn via Ferry), just take US 2 to Interstate 5.

I do admit that Interstate 90 follows US 2 several miles south, but if you have the extra time, take US 2.

And wave for me if you do take it as you leave Wenatchee down a long hill). My parents live just 2 blocks north of the highway.

-Brad M.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-07-2005 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Add some spaces to make it easier to read

Default Well, I've missed it...Twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia4-brad m
    ...At the base of the Western side of the pass, about 5 miles from the bottom of the main slope, is Deception Falls (look for a small brown sign about 1/4 mile from the Right-hand turn off). This small pull out maintained by the Forest Service hides a big secret... a waterfall that actually goes UNDER the highway! (most people don't even realize that they cross a bridge or even go over a waterfall!)
    Brad, this is very cool! I have driven over this spot at least twice, and didn't know about this. Next time -- I will stop for sure!
    US2 then winds through some more small villages and towns. You will notice many times that the Old Cascade Highway crosses the highway. The highway was moved years ago. (I have yet to travel the Old Cascade Highway, and when I do, Mark, expect one heck of a field report!)
    OK, you are on record -- we want to see this field report!

Mark

Brad gave you some great ideas.

If I were you, I'd veer down into SW South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, the Badlands, Deadwood, and Wall Drug. Then into NE Wyoming to see Devil's Tower.

I've never heard of/seen Deception Falls and I've driven this route a dozen times or more. I'll have to add this to my list of things to go see!

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default I guess...

I guess thats why they call it deception falls... you never know it's there! We had driven over it dozens of times, and my father grew up going over that pass several times a year and never even knew it was there! We found it by accident because we saw the brown signs they use to designate parks or historical places that noted the falls, and stopped. Now its part of every trip we make over the pass mainly because it's the only place to stop and use the restroom on the King County side of the pass.

jdlindsay Guest

Default Think about this

I worked as a travel nurse in the US for five years and drove across the country first back in 99. I would recommend the following-

drive to Chicago- (visit the navy pier, have an authentic pizza at the first
    Pizzaria Uno)
    drive though South Dakota (visit The Badlands, Mount Rushmore)
    drive though Wyoming (visit Yellowstone-if accessable- October may be
    difficult due to snow, visit The Grand Tetons) drive up to Montana and
    stay in Livingston at the Murray hotel-used to be a cowboy hotel at the
    turn of the century
    while in Montana (visit Glacier National Park- if accessable- snow may be a
    problem)

hope these ideas work for you and your family

jdlindsay