Thread: camping?

Default camping?

I plan to visit the Tioga pass this weekend. But, I ran past the 4 day limit to reserve a campground. Is there any way I can find other sites? any light?
    Any campsite near Tioga or Mammoth lake would be good. I do not know what are the chances of a walk in campground.

Anyone?

thanks in advance,
    Cool

2. Default A non-expert response

I rarely stay in a developed campground, other than back-country BLM sites in Arizona where I don't expect to find too many others and therefore never need to reserve.

That said, I know that most popular campgrounds are done by reservations these days, but surely some sites are available first-come first-served (?) -- there are dozens of campgrounds in the area you are headed for.

Perhaps someone on the board with more recent experience will post with better information, but if not, I'd go and try getting a campsite as early in the day as you can -- later on, if there were any non-reserved sites, they'll surely be gone. So plan your days backwards -- with the first order of business securing the camp, then explore with that as a base.

Your other option of course is private camps -- and I've used those a few times. You can usually get a tent site without reservations (at least I've never had any trouble). They're a little more expensive, but not prohibitive (usually). I hope somone else has a better answer! Bob

Default :)

I also had plans to try my luck with walk in sites.
    Thanks a lot.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default A good rule of thumb

In my experience, primarily in Washington State, developed campgrounds tend to follow patterns:

• State Parks/State Lands- You will most likely need a reservation

• National Parks/National Recreation Areas (NPS Governed Areas)- You will most likely need a reservation if they have campsites.

• US Forest Service Campgrounds- Generally only on a First Come-First Served basis (its far to expensive for the USFS to not only process campground reservations, but to enforce those reservations. They may have reservations availble for unusually popular campgrounds. Reservations for Group sites are required, since these are less often used, but when they are it is more of an inconvenience than a single family not finding a campsite at that particular campground.)
    I use these guidelines when planning any camping trips. I do always check with the local ranger district via the internet if they require or offer reservations.

5. Default Inyo National Forest

On Hwy 120 before you reach Hwy 395 there are national forest campgrounds and we have always been able to find a spot. We've stayed at a very undeveloped campground called Cattle Guard a couple of times. I found it listed on this list. There are several campgrounds on Hwy 120 after you have left Yosemite. Of course the closer you are to Yosemite, the faster they fill up.

Inyo National Forest

Utahtea

thanks, Utahtea.
    How abt bear protection at night? Does the campground have bear canisters?

thanks,
    cool.

7. Default Don't pick on the bears!

If you campers wouldn't pick on the poor bears, they wouldn't NEED any protection... ;)

A few years back, I read a news story about bears (perhaps at Sequoia or Yosemite) who had learned they could stick their claws in between the bodies and doors of Honda cars, and peel the doors off these cars like pop tops -- to get at the food left "protected" inside the vehicles. Pretty smart, eh?

8. Default Sorry...

I don't remember any bear canisters.

Utahtea

I did not know that we could camp for free :-)
    thanks for the list, tea.