Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saint Paul Winter Festival?

We are wondering and thinking about doing a winter RoadTrip Rendezvous in St. Paul, Minneapolis during the time of the Winter Festival. This year's event occurs January 27th to February 5th. I have long been intriuged by the huge ice carving castles that are constructed at this festival. More information about this Minnesota cold-fest is online here.

So, any takers? Wanna go get cold?

Mark

To be honest, I'm not real keen on getting cold. But those ice palaces/sculptures look interesting enough to tempt me.

My most direct route there would be via I-90/94 the whole way. I have to admit, I hate driving in icy/snowy conditions. Any idea what kind of driving conditions I would find then? I would imagine it would be pretty bad and could make the 3-day trip (in good weather) a day or 2 longer. What do you all think?

Default Count Me In

I'd certainly be up for a trip to the Winter Carinval. I've actually wanted to go up there for sometime, but I haven't yet made the trip.

In terms of the weather, its basically impossible to predict the weather for something 6 months away, but I do know in recent years the festival has had some issues with the weather actually being too warm (+32 not good when Ice is a central theme). Of course, that probably means an old fashion midwest bizzard is in store for this year's carinval.

For traveling, the weather more often than not is just fine. The biggest problems would most likely be along the great lakes where you get the lake effect snow that could slow you down.

Wouldn't I have problems with snow/ice coming from Washington state? Unless I go all the way down to California and then take Route 66 backwards, I would either need to drive through the northern states or through the Rockies.

I don't have as much experience winter roadtripping as I'd like. My car can't use chains due to the fender-shape. So, if I end up going anywhere requiring chains, I have to invest in something called a spyder. They're about $400 for the set. Since we get little to no snow in my area, it's not something I've invested in.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Did you say cold?

Wanna go get cold?
    You should go to Quebec City, they also have a huge winter carnival in February along with the Ice Hotel (brrr...)
    So, any takers?
    Now, if I go there it'll be for the sole purpose of seeing all of you guys, certainly not for the cold! (yuck). I definitely agree with Judy on this! I think St. Paul would be a good half way meeting point though.
    I don't have as much experience winter roadtripping as I'd like.
    Judy, you just need good winter tires and patience. You drive at your own pace that's all. I drove through every kind of winter weather possible (ice storms, snowstorms, windy, etc.) and never had an accident so far because I'm always careful and never try to drive faster than I can handle. Just remember that using your brakes on ice or snow might not exactly give the same results as on pavement so use them with caution!:-)

Gen
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-02-2005 at 09:58 AM. Reason: remove spaces --format

Default Megan isn't all that fond of the cold either

Quote Originally Posted by Gen
    Now, if I go there it'll be for the sole purpose of seeing all of you guys, certainly not for the cold! (yuck).
    Megan is pushing for a warmer winter retreat as well.

Mark

Thanks for the advice, Gen. I'm familiar with driving on snow and ice and do a good job with it. But....well, the speed freak in me has a real problem with having to drive that way for hours on end for long distances. Kinda takes the fun outta things, imho. And could potentially add a couple of days to my drive at that time of year.

And going over the passes, you are required to carry chains and may be required to use them. Due to the way my car's fenders are shaped, you can't use chains with my car. There is a contraption called a spyder that costs about $450-500 or so that I have to use instead. Since I just avoid passes in the winter, I've never invested in them.

Mark, don't change the location on my account because it's not assured I can attend anyway. However, I would probably try harder if it was someplace warm.

Default speed freak

Judy,

But....well, the speed freak in me has a real problem with having to drive that way for hours on end for long distances
    Yeah I know, it's kind of hard to go slower and it's not as fun, but when you live up north, you better get used to it and once it's done, it's not that bad. It's not worse than being stuck in traffic for hours during the summer vacations!:o)

Gen

Ps-I didn't know chains were required over the passes... so I never used them there (oops!). I think it is actually illegal to have some on your vehicle here (but with the conditions of our route it is not very surprising...)

Chains can be required during certain weather/snow conditions. They're not required all the time. You're not required to have them with you in the summer, for example. I drive over the passes a lot in the spring/summer/fall months with no problem. But they are times in heavy snow when, if you drive up to a pass and they say chains are required and you don't put chains on, they can ticket you and prevent you from driving over the pass.

I tend to roadtrip away from metro areas with lots of traffic and, thus, avoid getting stuck in it much. I went to Seattle for the first time in months just yesterday to pick up a relative who was flying into Sea-Tac. Ye gads...I have little patience for that concrete jungle! It reminded me why I usually just stay away from that place.

Mark,
    Megan is pushing for a warmer winter retreat as well.
    Well, good idea, you should listen to her!:-) What about the Keys? You could even ask for a special visa to go to Cuba, I'd love to go on a road trip there someday!

Judy,
    Chains can be required during certain weather/snow conditions. They're not required all the time. You're not required to have them with you in the summer, for example.
    Well duh, If they'd be required in the summer, your roads would be even worse than ours!:o)
    I have little patience for that concrete jungle! It reminded me why I usually jut stay away from that place.
    Then I suggest you stay away from the Washington DC-NYC area, they have the worst traffic jams I ever saw, especially DC! I was once stuck there for 3 hours and only drove 3 miles during all that time! Oh and I have a manual transmission by the way...Needless to say I was kind of grumpy:o) I always try to avoid that area when driving on the east coast. Do you really have that much snow in Washington or is it more like rain and fog?

Gen
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-07-2005 at 01:00 PM.