I'm 22 and from the UK. I'm really keen on doing a road trip through the west of America. My ideal is to drive through beautiful, open areas with few other human beings/cars around, where you can see for miles and enjoy good weather. And I'm British, so my standards of "good weather" aren't that high ;).
I've looked into it and Route 50 looks like a good bet. I'd probably go with a friend. We'd fly to Kansas City, rent a car (booked in advance, probably a Chrysler Sebring convertible), get on Route 50, drive as far as we could towards California in somewhere between three and five days (we don't mind driving all day and don't mind if we don't get there, though obviously we'd really like to). Then we'd turn around and come back to Kansas City in the same amount of time. We'd get on a plane and fly home.
There are a few questions I hope you can help me answer:
1) Would you recommend Route 50 for the sort of road trip I'm looking for?
2) How frequent are motels/gas stations alone Route 50? Are we likely to end up driving for hours longer than we anticipated because we can't find a motel/breaking down because we can't find a gas station in time?
3) How long do you think it'd take to go from Kansas City to the cost of California, having (for example) a ten hour driving day?
4) Are there any better routes to take in that direction?
5) Is there anything else I might have overlooked?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.