nenalen Guest

Default 140,000 mileage on road trip vehicle

Yes or no.

Would you take your vehicle on a 6000 mile road trip (GA - CA - WY -GA)- round trip) if your vehicle already had 140,000 miles already on it?

It is a 1996 Honda Accord that's just been heavily serviced.

I need opinions based on folks with past experience or knowledge.

Any advice is appreciated.

Default 140K Miles

We didn't start there, but did return from a 6866 mile trip from upstate NY to Montana & back in 1998 in a 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager that hit 138,159 when we hit home. The van was in very good shape, well maintained, however I have to admit that on a relatively short trip home from Hyannis, MA 3 weeks later it went into "limp home mode" (2nd gear) for a 400 miles trek across US 20 due to a transmission failure. I think it would have lasted longer if it weren’t for all the sand roads on Nantucket!

I'd go for it! Highway driving is fairly easy on a vehicle, assuming you don't push the thing too hard. In my daughter's case, their after-college road trip's car with less than 40K broke down in Boulder, CO and they stayed for a year! Worst case, you can rent a car to get home or buy a replacement on the road.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Go for it!

As long as the car's been well maintained, and you make sure everything is running fine before you leave, I wouldn't worry about it at all. As the previous poster mentioned, highway driving is pretty easy on a car, so if you're in good shape before you leave, you should stay in good shape on the road. And if something happens, well that's what mechanics are for.

My college roadtrip-mobile was a 10+ year old sedan with 150k miles on it and I took it all over the country without ever once worrying. Worst thing that ever happened, the exhaust system rusted out, leaving me to drive 700 miles in uncomfortable loudness. But other than a little lingering ear-ringing, I never had problems.

Plus, Accords are about as sturdy a vehicle as you can get, mechanially speaking. My parently just got rid of the 86 accord with nearly 200k, and even that was only because the body was rusting out. I would have trusted it to get me across country if I needed it to.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

I agree with everyone else. If the car has been well serviced and runs good, go for it. I have seen people with relatively new cars broken down on the side of the road. Newness doesn't always mean there won't be problems. In fact, if it's real new, a buggy situation or a lemon might not have made itself known yet.

It might be a good idea to have a mechanic you trust give it the once over before you leave, make sure all fluids are at proper levels and changed, if needed. New filters, etc.

And AAA is always a great investment for anyone who spends time on the road.