Thread: LA to NYC

Liam&Carolina Guest

Default LA to NYC

Hello All,

MY fiance and I are going to be moving back to the east coast in late august and wanted to know the fastest and safest route. I saw somewhere that the 15-70-80 was pretty fast. But just want others opinions. Also if there is any one else out there that wants to caravan let us know.

Thanks,

Liam & Carolina
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-20-2005 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Format Change

2. Default Fast and faster...

The I-15/I-70/I-80 route is the prettiest in my opinion, at least in the west (up through about Denver). After that, the scenery is similar on both routes (read on).

Taking I-40/I-44/I-70/I-71/I-76/I-80 is the fastest route -- but only by an hour or so. This is negligible on a 4 day trip in my opinion. Hitting a major city at rush hour could totally change the outcome... I-40 across Arizona and through about Santa Rosa, NM, is also spectacular western scenery.

If you've ever driven one of these routes, I'd suggest taking the other for the variety (I always want to see new roads!). If you've not driven either of them, then I'd choose the I-15/I-70 route. As we've often said on this forum, I-70 across Utah and Colorado is probably the most beautiful stretch of highway in the entire Interstate system (at least of the ones I've seen).

Liam&Carolina Guest

Thanks for the advice... At first I just wanted to shoot right across the US non stop with a case of redbull and green tea in the back seat.. but now after looking at this site and all the stuff to acctually look at I think we might go from LA-Denver day one. Stay the night in Denver then try for Chicago the next day... get some pizza and stay the night then head to NYC..

Default Too Far in one day!

Thanks for the advice... At first I just wanted to shoot right across the US non stop with a case of redbull and green tea in the back seat.. but now after looking at this site and all the stuff to acctually look at I think we might go from LA-Denver day one. Stay the night in Denver then try for Chicago the next day... get some pizza and stay the night then head to NYC..
    I would counsel a stop over-night not much beyond Grand Junction. The route through the Colorado Rockies should be done during daylight and there is no way for you to reach much beyond Grand Junction in one day with a departure in LA.

Mark

Liam&Carolina Guest

Okay.... now after much thought... the Fast Track caffeinated trip across the US has turned into a a bit of sight seeing.... So after taking the much needed advice of the editor... We will be leaving at 3am in the morning on the 21st of August and getting into St. George UT at about 9:00am... (hopefully) then eating breakfast.. then take a short detour to the North Rim of the grand canyon... then making it to Grand Junction, CO to stay the night at a lovely Motel 6... We are traveling with our cat also.. (forgot to mention that).... Let me know if this works??

I think Day 2 will be to St Louis...?? Is this possible??

(I love to drive... I once drove from NYC to Albany to Boston then back to NYC in one day with stopping for lunch and dinner and photos...)