Stefan Bengtsson Guest

Default How do you guys stay in shape?

When you're on a roadtrip, how do you guys stay healthy and in shape? I really wanna avoid the fast food joints. Do you have any suggestions of healthy and cheap food that don't require cooling, since I wanna pile it in my car? Also how do you guys work out during trips? Is it safe to go running early in the morning outside a motel 6 somewhere by the egde of a town?

Any tip is welcome!

Hello Stefan!

Many of our trips involve some sort of physical activity such as hiking, biking, caving, etc, although we don't actively seek "exercise" on our trips.

Some staples of ours for roadtrip snacks and meals are PB and wheat crackers, carrot sticks, and fruit of all kinds. Pack a cooler, even a small one, and refill it with ice at your hotel or place of rest for the evening. You might be surprised how well a cooler keeps food cold and I'm not being sarcastic here. Just keep the cooler out of the sun if possible. We like to carry a few more perishable items like cold cuts (aka luncheon meat to some of you).

Unfortunately, "eating out" is almost unavoidable on the road, and I have found that all I have to do is think a little bit before ordering. When asked "Fries, baked potato, or vegetable?" for the side dish, I usually reply "vegetable." Don't get anything SuperSized, drink water instead of tonic, etc. Get a salad with your meal as an appetizer instead of mozzarella sticks or chili cheese fries. So many restaurants have low-cal, low-fat, and healthy versions of meals available on their menus. Stay away from the chain restaurants; they tend to use more "artificial" and prepared/processed ingredients. Ask some locals, such as the hotel staff, where you can find a fresh, healthy meal at a non-chain restaurant.

Default Food

Whatever you do, don't go to the Shoney's breakfast buffet if you want to stay in shape. They have something like 15 different kinds of pork product alone!

As far as exercising near the hotel - use the same judgment as you would deciding on where to stay for the night. If you feel relatively comfortable sleeping there, then you should feel pretty comfortable taking a walk or a jog. But, still, use the buddy system just to be on the safe side.

When I'm in shape (and right now is not one of those times!), it becomes a regimen to watch carefully what I eat. Our trips also include some form of physical activity, hiking, biking, laughing hysterically, etc. That makes it easier to avoid the foods that have little or no nutritional value. It's amazing how much fat mayonnaise can add to a sandwich. That way, I can cheat a bit and get an ice cream or something on a couple of days- I don't believe in total deprivation.

After the meal has settled, get outside and take a walk, and remember: water is your friend.

Oh - for those of you confused: Tonic = soda = pop = co cola
    (I couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by TimboTA
    Oh - for those of you confused: Tonic = soda = pop = co cola
    (I couldn't resist)
    HAHA

I forget what I'm saying sometimes. Yes, tonic is Boston for soda in the general sense.

Default I couldn't resist either...

When I'm in shape (and right now is not one of those times!),
    Join the crowd -- I have just returned from a trip to a family branding in Wyoming and after watching all of my cousins (with their <11% body fat) work cattle all day -- I know I need to pay a little more attention...

Mark

Default Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Bengtsson
    When you're on a roadtrip, how do you guys stay healthy and in shape?
    I usually eat cold cuts picked up from grocery store delis for the noon-time meal. (I don't generally use bread -- just a modified wrap of the meat/cheese/lettuce.

Joanne V. Lichten wrote a pretty good book on this subject -- I have found it to be easy to use.

These days, I don't jog much -- but a brisk walk around the block is generally thought to be a better alternative anyway.

Mark

Default We have some great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Bengtsson
    I really wanna avoid the fast food joints. Do you have any suggestions of healthy and cheap food that don't require cooling, since I wanna pile it in my car?
    Dennis Weaver, the RTA Road Trip Food Guru has several articles about this -- one of the best is his RoadTrip Snacks list.

Mark