1. Default Roadtrip with 2 children for 2 months

I plan on driving from Washington DC to Santa Cruz, CA. I will be leaving in late June early July.

My route will be DC to Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah up to Boise then on to Santa Cruz. I don't want to drive through the desert with 2 kids. I though I would skirt Nevada. On my return I would like to go Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Custer, Minnesota, UP (Lake Superior) then on down to Chigaco and make my way back home.

My travel companions will be my 4 year old and 1 year old.

I have already purchased my National Parks Pass.

I don't plan on spending money on museums, zoos, or anything touristy. I want to see America. I want to walk through her woods, by her lakes, through her cornfields, see her wildlife, etc.

My money will be spent on gas, food and lodging (which I hope will be a good bit of camping). I would like to splurge on some lodging. Unusual places to stay. Any ideas???

I love Mark Twain. Is Hannibal, MO worth it?
    How about viewing the Arch in St. Louis?
    I would like to spend a good bit of time in Colorado.
    The National Parks of course.
    Small towns, I don't need big cities. Raised in NYC and now living in DC. That's enough for me.
    Few days in Chicago.
    Maybe a week in Michigan.

Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated....

Default America IS Touristy

I don't want to drive through the desert with 2 kids. I though I would skirt Nevada.... I don't plan on spending money on museums, zoos, or anything touristy. I want to see America. I want to walk through her woods, by her lakes, through her cornfields, see her wildlife, etc.....
    I think that your perception of "America" may be somewhat limited -- This land is defined by your fellow Americans and some of the best of the best is touristy.

I live and work in the desert -- Las Vegas -- and there is much magic waiting to be discovered here.

How about viewing the Arch in St. Louis?
    One of my all-time favorite monuments -- be sure to watch the movie that shows the construction and ride the cars up to the top of the arch. Awesome view.

I would like to spend a good bit of time in Colorado.
    As I write this, I am on a roadtrip and am in Estes Park tonight -- gorgeous place. Avoid Sundays for travel -- a few thousand folks will be on the road on Sundays in summer.

Mark

Be sure to check the state parks for each state as well. There tend to be lots of these around, not nearly as well known as the national parks but still with plenty of woods, lakes, wildlife, etc. to see.

4. Default

Make sure you spend 3 to 6 days in Yellowstone National Park. Utah has 5 beautiful national parks and several national monuments that are fantastic but it's going to be hot in July!

Utahtea