Thread: Planning Stage

Smokie Guest

Default Planning Stage

I want to see Las Vegas,Bryce Canyon and The Grand Canyon and anything between these points. I don't want to miss some important attractions in this vicinity. I know I will be in the Santa Fe area before heading west. Also Route 66 interests me and where is some short sections that are the most interesting.

2. Default

How much time do you have? There's a lot to see between Santa Fe and Las Vegas!

Possible side trips could be Chaco Canyon Culture National Historical Park, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, Canyon de Chelly National Monument (take the guided 1/2 or all day tour into the canyon) Monument Valley Tribal Park.

After leaving the Grand Canyon travel north to Page, AZ and see beautiful Lake Powell. If you have the time, take a boat cruise to see Rainbow Bridge National Monument and/or take the float trip on the Colorado River. Upper Antelope Slots Canyon is worth a couple hours of your time and so does the short hike to Horseshoe Bend.

After Bryce, plan on spending a day or two in Zion National Park before heading to Las Vegas.

My favorite section of Old Route 66 is between Kingman, AZ and Oatman, AZ. Oatman is a real hoot! They have burro's that roam the streets sticking their heads into businesses. If you time it just right, you can see a shoot out right on main street.

If you need to know about campgrounds, just let me know.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Route 66

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    Also Route 66 interests me and where is some short sections that are the most interesting.
    Sitgreaves Pass and the town of Oatman is pretty fun and still within the range of places you have specified. Plus, the article linked above has information about Seligman and Peach Springs. The best web resource I know for travel along US-66 is the one built by Guy Randall. Here are his pages about the section in Arizona that you could drive along after you leave the Grand Canyon.

Also, Jaimie Hall, one of the RTA RV experts traveled the entire route one summer and here is a field report of some of her favorite discoveries along the way.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-05-2005 at 07:43 AM.