arunmathews Guest

Default Road Trip - San Francisco to Chicago.

Hi,

We are moving from SF to Chicago. Have always wanted to do a road trip, I think now is the chance. We have 4 days to do it. Can someone who has driven this route give me suggestions as to what to see, where to stop, etc. Thanks!

Default No time to stop! -- Well, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by arunmathews
    We are moving from SF to Chicago. Have always wanted to do a road trip, I think now is the chance. We have 4 days to do it. Can someone who has driven this route give me suggestions as to what to see, where to stop, etc. Thanks!
    I have driven between these two cities many, many times. This is not going to be a relaxing drive, but it is BY DEFINITION A ROADTRIP! The shortest possible distance (with no side-trips) is 2100 miles. You need to figure that it will take you a minimum of four days driving about 10 hours a day. Unless you are a professional driver, or have a very dedicated co-driver, you will not average much faster than 58 mph over the course of the trip.

The fastest possible route is I-80 to I-90. How much stuff will be accompanying you on your move?

Mark

arunmathews Guest

Thanks, Mark. That is exactly the kind of information we were looking for. We will not have much luggage in the car. It is a 4 door sedan. We will send most of our stuff through a moving company.

Is the avg speed 55 MPH due to the hilly terrain or did you assume I would be driving a u-Haul? Also I will be doing most of the drive myself.

Thanks again!

Default 55 mph

Quote Originally Posted by arunmathews
    We will not have much luggage in the car. It is a 4 door sedan. We will send most of our stuff through a moving company.

Is the avg speed 55 MPH due to the hilly terrain or did you assume I would be driving a u-Haul? Also I will be doing most of the drive myself.
    55 mph is an realistic speed for 10 hours of travel. This assumes that most of the time you will be driving in excess of 70 mph, but there will be time-outs for stretching, fuel consumption and heavier traffic.

If you are solo -- you will need to factor in time to rest.

We are moving from SF to Chicago.
    AHHHHHH! Thats a downgrade! (haha j/k).
    I bet rent/mortgage will be cheaper though :)