Albert Guest

Seeking 'best practices' on routes, food-stops, cheap housing (includes camping). My intention is to do an express trip so sites, and scenic stops won't be on agenda, thanks!

2. Default Down and dirty roadtripping

Albert, I'm not sure what you are asking -- based on your original post, it sounds like you wish to get there as quickly and inexpensively as possible? If that is the case, here is how I do it:

Start early, drive late. But make sure you stop long enough at night to get enough sleep that there is no doubt you are rested. It may be best to set a daily schedule so you are not widely varying your routine (which encourages fatigue).

Keep it simple. Camping slows you down -- if you do it to save money, keep it spartan so it stays quick -- you don't want to be setting up a complete campsite when the main object is burning off a bunch of miles.

I typically use Mom & Pop motels as they tend to be less expensive -- but check the room before you commit - the quality will vary much more between them than it would at a national chain. You need a good bed -- and make sure the room is clean and the sheets are fresh. Stay away from places that advertise hourly rates -- not only will they be dirty, but the constant traffic will prevent you from sleeping well. Another option could be the camping cabins at places like KOA -- the drawback is you would not have a private bath. You need to take your own sleeping bag for these.

Don't neglect to make occasional rest stops -- staying as fresh as you can saves time in the long run.

Eat light -- eating heavy foods or too much food will have a fairly dramatic impact on how you feel during the trip. And the worse you feel, the less efficient your driving will be. I eat fast food for the speed and convenience, but be choosey about it. Also, it is very important to drink enough water.

I-40 is a good high speed route. Check the <a href = "">weather and road conditions<a/> for a few days before you go -- the most likely problem would be snow/ice on the Great Plains or in the high country of New Mexico and Arizona. This weekend, particularly, could have some poor driving conditions in these areas. Most of the time, the route is all-weather. If it closes at all, it would only be for a few hours at most. Taking a set of tire chains is a good idea just in case, but you probably won't need them. (I can't remember when you said you were going).

If this causes any questions, or if I'm totally off in answering, post again. Bob